The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ponchogl, MikeE, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 162 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,144
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#477774 12/03/2008 3:05 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1
Hello to all. I am hoping to find some information relating to adding powersteering to a 46 chev pickup. It has the original steering and brakes on the vehicle now. I am a shop owner in Minnesota and am seeing more older vehicles being restored and coming in and asking questions about their loved vehicle. I normally don't work on older vehicles but somehow have now developed some clients who would like to have some work done. Has anyone out there performed a powersteering project on a vehicle like this. I have seen kits for 47 to 54 advertised and as far as I can tell by the pictures it should work for the 46. I realize they changed body style sometime in 47 and this truck I am working on is the old style body. Thanks for any info you might give me.
Ray

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
There's a power steering box for a Toyota truck that's a virtual clone of the early Chevy system. Not sure which one fits, but I'm sure someone with more experience will come by shortly and provide some details.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 610
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 610
I just recently (this past friday) picked up a toyota power steering box as Hotrod Lincoln describes from the local yard for $20. It came out of a 81 pickup 4x4. My next step is to design and have cut out, some brackets to mount a p/s pump to the 235 inline 6 thats in my 52. I also will be designing a mount for the toyota box that will use the stock mounting holes in the frame, keep the output shaft in the same location as the stock one (distance above frame and out from frame) and tilt the box so that the input shaft is pointing a bit more towards the steering column shaft. Im designing these brackets/mounts on CAD and having them lazer cut out of steel plating (various thickness).

The only thing is, im not sure what pump to use. I could use a toyota pump, but im looking for a complete unit, the toyota pumps have a remote reservoir. I need to find a pump that has a output pressure that matches the toyota box. Anyone know what I could use? I was hoping a dodge pump from a pickup.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 96
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 96
Please keep us updated, doing a similar project.

Found this one, maybe with some modifications, Jerry had also a good suggestion. (http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CPSK059)

All the Best


Jan


Don't waste water, drink wine !

1946 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton Truck
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 96
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 96
Is there a later power steering box that fits the original pitman arm ?

Thks

Jan


Don't waste water, drink wine !

1946 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton Truck

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0