The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (TUTS 59, JW51, Jon G), 114 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#481043 12/11/2008 5:00 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 137
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 137
Heads (IMHO) are the best money spent for adding power to a SBC. After doing mucho research I opted for Chevy Vortec heads. Alum heads are more expensive and unless you are shaving tenths off at the dragstrip, really not worth the expenditure. Vortecs will get you into the 9.70 compression and still be pump gas freindly depending on your cam. I would recommend a Crane cam.

These heads require a Vortec specific manifold, I recommend an Edlebrock RPM Airgap or the Chinese knock off. A Holley 650cfm for the 350, and a 750 for a 383. You will also need centerbolt valve covers. All of your accessories will bolt right up Alternator, power steering pump. You will also need self aligning rocker arms Roller or stamped steel. Your original pushrods and lifters will work. If you go with 1.6 ratio rocker arms be sure and check pushrod length and valve to piston clearance. A regular HEI or orginal dizzy works fine. Exhaust system will bolt right up.

If you are running a Cam of 470 lift or higher you will need to upgrade the springs. Scoggins Dickey sells a set with spring upgrade.

I have built two engines with these heads and what a huge difference they make.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 17
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 17
I have an old '86 305 that I just installed the Chev. vortec heads, a low end Crane cam, Holley 650, Performer intake, HEI. From all the advice I got, looks as if this is a good setup.
I have an old '70 Monte Carlo front clip on my '49. Do you have any experience with headers.? Sanderson makes nice block huggesr, but I'm not sure which model will fit.
I sure do want to crank it up and see what's weak behind the motor....lol

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 137
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 137
No Experiece with headers, but have heard 100% positve about Sandersons, Your combo sounds good.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0