The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (dt235sd, Rick Brown, Jon G, 2-Ton), 170 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,238
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
I am now at the point with my restoration project that I need to get serious about a good HVLP spray gun. Do ya’ll have any good recommendations on a good gun?

http://www.joeysgarage.com/1948gmc/gmcindex.htm

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
Sata... But remember, the best paint gun won't make you a good painter.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
That I know

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
I was told Sata guns are cheapest at Sherwin Williams automotive outlets due to thier bulk buying power.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 145
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 145
I can believe it. I went to a locally owned automotive paint place to get some things and buy a gun. Most of there prices were just as cheap or better than anywhere I could find on the internet. I didn't get a SATA. I'm just doing the frame right now. A good Devilbiss will do for now. Maybe I'll spring for a SATA when I get to the body work.


In the Gallery
[yrl=http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=43825635&albumId=1717519]More pictures in MySpace[/url]
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 121
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 121
I'm no expert painter but............ I bought a cheap off-shore made gun from a discount store and had nothing but trouble. Bought a low-end Devilbiss Finishline gun from my paint store and what a difference!

You get what you pay for but for what I'm doing the Devilbiss is just about perfect. Wasn't very expensive either.


Dave
66 GMC- father /son project with the "GMC KID"
36 Chevy PU- 4x4 lifetime project
64 Skylark- wife says its hers
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
I bought this Devilbiss and have been very happy. I have only used it with primers which are thicker than base/clear. Though I don't plan on shooting the final base/clear.

Good cheap gun

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
One of the few things worth buying at Harbor Freight is their HVLP guns. I have both the regular size and detail gun and they work flawlessly... and I really can't stand most of the junk they sell there so go figure.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 16
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 16
Whatever gun you decide on buying, make sure you have the right fluid tip for the paint you are spraying. you will see numbers like 1.3, 1.4,1.8 etc...thicker paints like primer will use a bigger number. using the wrong fluid tip will cause problems like runs,sags and dry rough areas. I have cheap guns and i have expensive guns, keep them seperate. my cheap gun with a 1.8 fluid tip shoots primer and thats it, my expensive guns with the correct fluid tip shoots base and clear only.A big part of a properly shooting gun is cleanliness...take it apart every time your done shooting and clean the heck out of it.use strainers every time you fill up. test spray the gun on a piece of metal to make sure you have the adjustments right before you pull the trigger on your project. I count the number of turns to close the needle adjustment before I take it apart, when I am done cleaning, I can set the needle back to what I had before and atleast get back in the area of what I had, you may make fine adjustments, but atleast you wont have a huge run right off the bat. long winded...hope it helps someone


1948 Chevrolet 1.5-Ton
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 113
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 113
Has anyone tried the guns from Home depot or Lowes? I was looking at them as an option. Right now I am just using the Wal-mart kit which has worked fine for the frame and other small non-visable parts but do want a better quality set-up for the body stuff.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 443
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 443
I like the 30.06 Savage bolt action with th.....oh, sorry. Wrong kind of gun. smile


1957 Chevrolet 1/2-ton Stepside LB in the Gallery
My Photobucket shots

The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
I probably have 20-25 spray guns, suction guns, 2 quart
pressure guns, and small spot painting guns, and I can say that
Devilbiss is, in My opinion, hard to beat...Binks is also a good
choice too, but I prefer to stay with Devilbiss because I have
enough parts to rebuild them when necessary...I always notch
the fluid control with a mark so I can know when I have a full
turn, it helps immensely especially on My pressure pots...My
favorite Devilbiss spray gun models is the MBC, or the JGA...
One of the worst guns I ever bought was a Sharp, and it happen to be the most costly gun too...Don't skimp on a spray gun, or it will show in Your paint job... Bill B.


1952 Chevy 3104 Shortbed 5-window
Remember; Politicians and diapers both need to be changed
often, and for the same reason.....
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 180
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 180
I have a devilbis and a Iwata both are good. like said before get the right size tip and don't go cheap on your gun it makes a difference. the good guns spray the exact same way every time. once you clean one of the $40 cheap guns it may spray different. makes them hard to get use to.


1950 custom streetrod build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=296770

71 corvette conv, 525 hp big block

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0