The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (J Lucas, Eileen, Mike'sPlace), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,296
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#479252 12/06/2008 6:13 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 48
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 48
I have serched this and could not find any good info on it.
Question: Has anyone removed the fuel tank from behind the seat on a '60s C-10 and replaced it with a under the truck fuel tank from sonething out of a junk yard???
I see that LMC Truck sells a relocation kit & tank for $219.99 plus S&H. Thats not bad at all, however, I am over my budjet on this allready and am looking for ways to save money everywhere I can at this time!


tp://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo113/RED64STEPSIDE/
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
look at an S-10 blazer, I know it has been used on AD's, not sure about the later trucks


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I would be wary of using a tank out of a salvage yard. If you do make sure it's clean (no rust or varnished gas) inside. Potentially huge problems await if you use a tank with crud in it.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 104
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 104
I dont know about Tennessee, but I have tried to find a gas tank at a salvage yard and they will not sell you one in Texas. Maybe because of the problems Tiny has mentioned. Try swap meets. I found a new gas tank for $35 that had only a small dent in it at a swap meet.

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
In my area of California, they punch a hole in the tank and remove the gas before they are allowed to put it in the yard. Part of the Clean Air and Water Act by EPA, I think.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 48
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 48
The more I think about this, the more it bothers me. We have some trully bonified, gunuine, unconditionally STUPID drivers around here! Just this very afternoon while on lunch break I seen 2 vehicles run red lights! I am afraid of the fuel tank being inside the cab & if I was to get t-boned by someone,,,,,,well,,,,,it would most likely not end up too good!
I do believe it is in my best intrest to just bite the bullet and order the previously mentioned new tank kit. But thanks for the replys and info! What the heck, I'm over budjet anyway! A few more months of credit card payments wont be that bad for a little extra safty!!!


tp://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo113/RED64STEPSIDE/
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
LMC sell a new 20 gal blazer tank for $99. Check their 82-04 s-10 Blazer catalog. That may be an option. http://www.lmctruck.com/ICATALOG/CST/full.aspx?Page=134

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
The way to get a tank in Calif. is find a truck that is going to the W. yard and remove it boil it out and have it coated. I did this to my boat tanks and have had ZERO problems. What really gets me is if you look at the wrecking yards they are spilling more fuel on the ground than they are saving form the enviroment.
Depending how big the hole is you can have it Welded up by A Qualified shop who has the chemicals to do it profesionaly. NOW DO NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF OR I WILL READ ABOUT YOU IN THE LOCAL NEWSPAPER UNDER THE STUPID COLUMN. MAN BLOWS SELF UP TRYING TO GET BY CHEAP!! Good Luck on a tank. You can have one made out of pickled iron custom made to fit your truck.
62Blue
Don

Last edited by Don G.; 12/08/2008 9:43 PM.

62Blue
62Chevy in progress
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 21
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 21
If you can get a tank larger than you need from a junkyard, you can get it cut down, re welded & sealed with a life time warranty. Moyer Fuel Tank Renu in Greensburg, PA is the source. (http://www.gas-tank.com/)

My dad used them in 1992 for a D*dge truck tank. The truck now rests in the back field, dead, but the gas tank is still solid.

Moyer's cleans the entire tank, bakes out the fumes, sand blasts inside & out & applies an indestructable coating.

Kit Car magizine had them modify a tank several years ago & did an article on the process.



Blue 666

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0