The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
After I already purchased a 12 volt generator to upgrade my AD pickup I heard an alternator must be used with electronic distributors, but I hope someone with definate knowledge will get involved on this subject.

I'd like to get some discussion going on this subject I posted in the electrical bay. The reply to that post got me to thinking about voltage levels and I do not have both a generator and an alternator to test with a voltmeter.

I'm now SPECULATING that an alternator system consistently produces over 13 volts regardless of RPM. Meanwhile a generator MAY not even be able of producing 13 volts, and it may drop below 12 volts when at idle RPM.

Thanks

:confused:


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
A properly-adjusted generator system should provide plenty of voltage to support an elecrtonic ignition system. The CURRENT, not the voltage, of a generator might be a little low at idle, but that isn't going to be a factor unless there's a lot of add-on accessories in operation like a huge sound system, rear window defroster, or other high-current demands. The cutout relay, the part of the generator controls that disconnects the generator from the battery when the engine stops, should be set to close its points at approximately 12.5 volts. This is to be sure current flows from the generator to the battery, not the other way. Once the points close, the internal resistance of the battery determines how high the voltage must rise to recharge the battery. Against a well-charged battery, the voltage should rise to more than 14 volts. To prevent the battery from getting overcharged, a regulator limits generator output at about 14.7 volts.

A very low (discharged) battery will accept recharging current at 12.5 to 13 volts, at a very high rate of charge. Most generator systems also have a "current regulator" to limit the generator output to 25, or sometimes 35 amps of current to prevent overloading of the generator. As the battery recharges, the current flow will diminish, and the voltage will rise, controlled by the internal resistance of the battery. The battery, not the regulators, determines how much voltage, and current, the system produces. The regulators are only there to prevent overloading of the system, or overcharging of the battery.

There is NO reason an electronic ignition system won't work on a generator-equipped vehicle!

Let me suggest you read my Tech Tips article on DC charging systems.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 197
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 197
There have been reports of Pertronix modules dying due to voltage spikes caused by a generator. Proper bypassing of the generator should eliminate this problem.


Jason
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
I have no hands-on experience with the Pertronix system, but from what I've been able to read here on the forum, they seem to be too flimsy to be reliable. Since the GM HEI system is available, why would anyone waste time and money on a weak reed like a Pertronix ignition?

If spikes are a problem, just adding a big capacitor from the Armature terminal of the generator to ground should solve the situation. That's how we cured radio interference for years with the DC charging systems and AM radios fom many years.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
Jerry: When I go to the boneyard looking for a GM HEI, which vehicles should I consider for a distributor for my 62, 235? Afterwards, I'm going to need a primer on how to modify and wire the distributor.

Thanks!


delete my account and pictures
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
Thanks for your replies. Hotrod's technical description makes very good sense to me. I have a big sack full of assorted caps to control the spikes so I can enjoy my high dollar original radio.

Patrick is the source who made me believe my new Mallory simply will not work with a generator. Who knows, maybe Patrick had a bad experience with an improperly calibrated regulator?

I've been detoured from drinkin' by Hotrod Lincoln! Thanks Buddies.


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
Tab, I don't think any of the HEI distributors are a direct swap into the 235 engine, as all the inline sixes were 230/250/292 by the time HEI was on the scene. I've heard there's a modification that allows them to be used on the early block, though. I prefer the distributor with the coil built into the cap, rather than the remote-coil model, but either one is just as effective at firing the plugs. Early to mid-80's 250 and 292 engines should be the ones to scavenge in the boneyard, I believe.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
Jerry: Thanks! Yes, I want one with the coil. I thought that I saw a post about modifying an HEI from a 250 to fit a 235. Anybody know how to do this swap?


delete my account and pictures
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
here's an earlier post on the HEI modification.
http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004636#000003


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
Fred: Thanks! This sounds like an excellent el cheapo mod. ;•D


delete my account and pictures

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0