The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (delky, Steelonsteel), 235 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 23
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 23
I have a 1949 3600 (3/4 ton) truck. I drained and removed the rear diff cover today and I have a re-fill question? I am not sure how to fill this rear diff? I guess I could pour it in the hole in the rear of the cover, but is that enough fluid?

Or, I also removed a fairly long bolt from the driver's side of the diff. It is about 4 inches long and threaded all the way. What is this bolt? Should I fill it from this hole, or the one in the rear of the diff? Also, should I use any special oil? Just a 90 weight gear oil?

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The long bolt: If you are talking about a bolt that is not a cover bolt, that is the bolt that holds a thrust pad in place. It is a brass pad that stops the ring gear from distorting under heavy load. I don't know exactly what you do from here.

As for the filler hole, you just purchase your gear oil in the plastic bottles with the pointed spouts and pour it in. The level should be 1/2" below the hole when not warm.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0