The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Tronman, 1 invisible), 124 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,476
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#458471 10/04/2008 5:36 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
I am taking a 88 Chevy 350 and rebuilding it using no emmissions parts, basically stripping it down. Got a Edelbrock Manual Choke Carb and have removed a lot of the vacuum parts that are not needed. What I am looking for is an easy wiring diagram so that I can at least crank it over and make sure it fires. I plan on using the coil that is there which should be fine, but if people think I should swap it out I can do that. Just looking for some direction. Right now I just need it to fire before I pull it and swap the body onto the frame I am using. Any thoughts. Thanks.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Jackyl,

If you don't want to include the charging system in your trial run it's really pretty simple.

Attach the battery positive to the stater and connect the negative to the engine somewhere.

Run a wire from either the battery connection on the starter or the battery post itself through a simple ON/OFF switch of any kind to the coil +.

Use another simple MOMENTARY ON/OFF switch in a wire from battery post or starter battery connection to the small terminal on the starter solenoid marked "S". When this terminal is powered, the starter engages and spins. A remote starter switch with alligator clips can be substituted for the above mentioned wiring for this purpose.

When you click your coil ON/OFF switch to ON and push the little button to power the solenoid "S" terminal, the engine will start.

Stuart

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
Ok need some fast help here. I got the engine cranking but no spark. So I connected the Remote Starter Switch and the engine was cranking then I took and ran a cable from the + to the coil in, I had to splice into the wire which I was assuming was the hot wire. Hit the switch heard a start of the crank and now nothing works.

This is a 1988 engine, so it has what I believe is the coil that looks more like a guitar resistor than a coil then hooks into the distributor. I guess I am more concerned that it is no longer even cranking. Did I blow the starter?

Thoughts.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
tap the starter with a small rubber hammer. It sounds like your bendix and/or solenoid is hung and not returning home.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
I guess I would be concerned since it just died when I hooked the wire up to what looked to be the coil. Coincidence maybe, I will hit it tomorrow when I get home from work. Just surprised since it was cranking like crazy up until I realized that I did not hook that other wire up and tried that.

Thanks

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
Short of beating the starter up, nothing. The engine is no longer cranking. It seems odd that hooking up the wire directly from the + over to the coil would cause the entire engine to die.
I am open to thoughts and direction as to where to go next. I am completely confused on this one.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 207
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 207
'88 would have been TBI so it needs a computer to run the ignition.
or did it have a carb before?

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
This one had a carb.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
Still no luck, this engine appears to be dead. Not sure how it can go from running fine to dead doing what I did.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Ignition Module would keep it from firing, starter or solenoid would keep it from cranking.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
Ended up replacing the entire starter and now it cranks. I pulled the coil and distributor off my 72 350 and put that into the 88 block and will try starting it up without the electronics and points only. I am at my wits end, I am ready to push this thing down into the swamp behind my house.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Is the distributor in correctly? If you have it 180 out, no amount of cranking will start it. The only thing electronic in the distributor is the HEI module. About $12 at the local auto parts store.

Scott


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
Put the distributor on the engine from my 72 and went back to points, still nothing happening. I am ready to push this and the truck down the hill behind my house into the swamp. Completely frustrated and ready to give up.


Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Are you getting any indication of a spark, and is it cranking at normal speed now? If you've got fuel, spark and compression, the problem must be timing. Here's a quick check- - - - -take the passenger's side valve cover off, and turn the engine over by hand, or just tap the starter a little at a time until the #6 cylinder's valves are "rocking". The exhaust valve will be closing, and the intake will be starting to open. #6 is the third pair of valves from the front.

Once #6 is in the rocking position, be sure the distributor rotor is pointed toward the #1 plug wire (driver's side front). If not, re-time the distributor until it does, either by swapping wires, or repositioning the gear as you drop the dizzy in.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
HRL,

I have never seen the procedure you recommend..is it special? Why not do the same thing on #1 which is more handy to reach and has the added benefit (maybe) of eyeballing the timing marks on the crank pulley. I'm sure there is something here I don't understand.

Stuart

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
The timing mark comes up twice- - - - -once when the cylinder is on compression, ready to fire the gas, and again when it's between exhaust and intake. That's how people get the dizzy in 180 degrees out of time. #6 is the companion cylinder to #1, so when the #6 valves are on the overlap position, intake opening/exhaust closing, #1 is definitely on compression, ready to fire the plug. It also works on a stovebolt, with #1 and #6 as companion cylinders.
Jerry

Edit: To find the companion cylinders on any engine with an even number of cylinders, cut the firing order in half.

Any I-6:
1-5-3-6-2-4- - - -becomes
1-5-3
6-2-4

1 & 6 pistons come to the top at the same time, one on compression, one on overlap. Ditto for 2 & 5 and 3 & 4. This also works for doing an accurate engine-stopped valve adjustment.

V-8: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

1-8-4-3
6-5-7-2

Simple and easy to remember.
Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 11/22/2008 4:34 AM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
HRL,

Thanks, I have a pretty fair grasp on the timing thing. My question was why did you recommend #6, the companion cylinder, why not #1?

In my mind, #1 is in a more convenient location, closer for the mechanic, and you have the added benefit of leaning right smack dab over the crank pulley and timing marks. If you are pulling it over by hand, you could stop right on the marks...you wouldn't even have to pull the valve cover. Plus, if you pulled #1 plug, you wouldn't have to guess on being 180&deg out.

I know where #1 is on a GM product, I would have to scratch for a second to find #6. I guess everyone has there own way to do things, huh.

Stuart

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
If #1 is rocking, and you time the spark plug to fire that cylinder, it will never run! The whole idea behind finding which cylinder is on overlap is so you can fire the OTHER cylinder. If you insist on using #1 to find when the valves overlap, you need to time the distributor to fire #6. Got the idea now?
Jerry

Edit: The timing marks will align when either #1 or #6 is on conpression, since both pistons are at the top at the same time. Companion cylinder timing eliminates the need to turn the engine fast enough to feel for compression, and possibly going so far past TDC that you have to guess at the timing. It's worked for me for over 40 years, and I can't remember the last time I got confused and timed one wrong.
Jerry


Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 11/22/2008 5:05 AM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
HRL,

Thanks for the lesson...I'll stick with my way, using #1 on TDC. I'm too old and dumb to learn new tricks, besides, I'm just a Millwright not a shop teacher. wink

Stuart

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
I've been learning new things for over 50 years in the automotive business, so far. I guess that will stop eventually, but not before they shovel the dirt over me. Check out my sig line!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
HRL,

After reading a different post in another forum, I think I now understand your 'lesson'! If I pulled #1 to the BB or timing mark and was able to get #6 intake and exhaust to alternately move as I rocked the crank slightly back and slightly forward, this would be proof of TDC on #1, no need to check any further...right!

I think I missed this concept in your previous post, if this is indeed the right concept!

If this correct or do I need to call in the grave diggers & shovels? smile

Stuart





Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
"DING-DING-DING!" Give the man a seegar! That's a totally foolproof way of being sure you've got the distributor aligned with the right cylinder. I've seen a lot of my students, and more than a few professionals get fooled by the idea that if the timing marks align, the dizzy must be timed right.

Good on ya!
thumbs_up
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
neat trick...by the way,did ya get it started?...............dave


1949 Chevrolet 3100

"When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
I have spark, but it just isn't turning over. I think I am going to list the entire thing on craigslist this week, just don't have the time or the patients to mess with it any more and to tell you the truth. I have been getting more and more frustrated and honestly the 1 Ton frame is starting to get on my nerves.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
Plus before I start pulling the straight 6 that runs out of the one and swapping the frame with another frame this is probably the best.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
I'm now confused. either you have the engine turning or you do not? I thought you replaced the starter.

If you have spark and now the engine is turning over hard you have the timing too far advanced, it is trying to run backwards on itself. Simple fix, while cranking, turn the distributor a little one way or the other.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
Sorry when I say turning I meant running. I already tried to move the distributor and nothing was helping while it was cranking.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Find someone who understands ignition timing to help you out, and I'll bet he has it running in under 15 minutes.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0