Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,225 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 465 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 465 | I have a 216 being rebuilt at this time and am gathering parts and info for install. I was thinking of the Fenton Headers and using the original intake with an adapter for a 2bbl.
I am going to use a electronic ignition,either Pertronics or Stovebolt(any preferences?)
All the posts on the headers have been very positive.
I read a very long post from July on the adapter and was very concerned. The poster had a myriad of issues with the adapter and carb.
As far as the carb,I can always get a used one with a manual choke.
My question is will this setup work well on a 216 .I am not looking for great shakes on performance,just reliability. Secondly ,should I buy a manufactured adapter or make my own? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 125 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 125 | Langdons sells an adapter, and a carter/weber carb. They're pretty cheap, and many people here have used it with good success. I'm going to run two of them on my fenton intake, myself.
Who is John Galt?
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I bought two of the Stovebolt Engine Company carb adapters this past June. I had no issues with them - they looked good and bolted on fine. I cut off and ground smooth the "extra ears" but that is not necessary. I think that this is the adapter. Maybe someone else will confirm that this is the correct adapter. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 125 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 125 | Yeah, thats the one. I'm pretty sure it requires a SMALL 2 bbl. As in you cant use Rochester 2-jet, or Holley 2bbls. It's perfect for Carter/Weber, and Holley/Webers, though.
Who is John Galt?
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 465 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 465 | So you're saying that the 216 can handle a 2bbl carbuerator | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 125 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 125 | That, I don't know. I do know that the Carter/Weber is the smaller one from Langdons, AND it's progressive! I would'nt be afraid to try it.
Who is John Galt?
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | You'll have to fiddle around with the accelerator linkage. The Carter-Weber is a real nice carburetor and Langdon's sells it at a good price. You might want to call Tom Langdon - he's a nice guy and he will tell you his opinions regarding this carb on your engine.
It might not improve your performance but, if it is not too much carb for a 216, it might improve your starting reliability and give you a little better performance. You will have to wire-up the automatic choke (mine are electric).
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 465 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 465 | I guess that's the question, can the 216 handle it ? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | just-a-hacker, IMHO, it's too much for a 216. You won't find any gain and you will probably suffer both in performance and mileage. The basic idea of putting more fuel down the same hole on this small engine is flawed. Take this at face value as I'm certainly not Stroker McGurk. Stuart | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | Any suggestions on what carb would be best for his stock 216? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 125 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 125 | I don't think this will be too much of an issue, because of the progressive feature of the C/W carb. When the throttle is at lower settings, only one bbl is open, and it's smaller than the stock carb. I don't have alot of experience with the C/W, but you might be able to adjust the point when the secondary opens, and tailor it to avoid the too big of a carb bog. I would call Tom Langdon and ask him if this is the case, or if he has any experience with someone running it on a 216!
Who is John Galt?
| | |
| |