The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Cletus1950, Otto Skorzeny, dt235sd, Brian Moore, jeffreyguy), 151 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#475282 11/25/2008 4:52 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 465
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 465
I have a 216 being rebuilt at this time and am gathering parts and info for install. I was thinking of the Fenton Headers and using the original intake with an adapter for a 2bbl.

I am going to use a electronic ignition,either Pertronics or Stovebolt(any preferences?)

All the posts on the headers have been very positive.

I read a very long post from July on the adapter and was very concerned. The poster had a myriad of issues with the adapter and carb.

As far as the carb,I can always get a used one with a manual choke.

My question is will this setup work well on a 216 .I am not looking for great shakes on performance,just reliability.
Secondly ,should I buy a manufactured adapter or make my own?


just-a-hacker


'49 3100 before '99
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
Langdons sells an adapter, and a carter/weber carb. They're pretty cheap, and many people here have used it with good success. I'm going to run two of them on my fenton intake, myself.


Who is John Galt?
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I bought two of the Stovebolt Engine Company carb adapters this past June. I had no issues with them - they looked good and bolted on fine. I cut off and ground smooth the "extra ears" but that is not necessary.

I think that this is the adapter. Maybe someone else will confirm that this is the correct adapter.


Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
Yeah, thats the one. I'm pretty sure it requires a SMALL 2 bbl. As in you cant use Rochester 2-jet, or Holley 2bbls. It's perfect for Carter/Weber, and Holley/Webers, though.


Who is John Galt?
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 465
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 465
So you're saying that the 216 can handle a 2bbl carbuerator


just-a-hacker


'49 3100 before '99
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
That, I don't know. I do know that the Carter/Weber is the smaller one from Langdons, AND it's progressive! I would'nt be afraid to try it.


Who is John Galt?
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
You'll have to fiddle around with the accelerator linkage. The Carter-Weber is a real nice carburetor and Langdon's sells it at a good price. You might want to call Tom Langdon - he's a nice guy and he will tell you his opinions regarding this carb on your engine.

It might not improve your performance but, if it is not too much carb for a 216, it might improve your starting reliability and give you a little better performance. You will have to wire-up the automatic choke (mine are electric).


Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 465
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 465
I guess that's the question, can the 216 handle it ?


just-a-hacker


'49 3100 before '99
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
just-a-hacker,

IMHO, it's too much for a 216. You won't find any gain and you will probably suffer both in performance and mileage. The basic idea of putting more fuel down the same hole on this small engine is flawed.

Take this at face value as I'm certainly not Stroker McGurk. wink

Stuart

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Any suggestions on what carb would be best for his stock 216?


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
I don't think this will be too much of an issue, because of the progressive feature of the C/W carb. When the throttle is at lower settings, only one bbl is open, and it's smaller than the stock carb. I don't have alot of experience with the C/W, but you might be able to adjust the point when the secondary opens, and tailor it to avoid the too big of a carb bog. I would call Tom Langdon and ask him if this is the case, or if he has any experience with someone running it on a 216!


Who is John Galt?

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0