| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 111 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 111 | Other than the longer bed and running boards on a 3/4 ton, am I correct in thinking that the fenders, hood and other sheet metal off a 54 1/2 ton will bolt on to a 49 3/4 ton? Looks like they will but I am not sure if there are any unseen problems. thanks a ton, Mitchell
54 Chevy 5 window - 46 Chevy 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | 1947-1953 had the same front end, 1954 and the 1955 1st series had differant tin. The front fenders are differant due to the grill having changed. The hood, I'm not sure. I think it would interchange but could be wrong on that, somebody smarter than me will chime in.
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 111 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 111 | I knew the grill was different but I was thinking the front and rear fenders were the same for either year. Maybe not!! Mitchell
54 Chevy 5 window - 46 Chevy 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | Rear fenders might work but the front fenders are totally differant where the grill mounts.
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 | The front sheet metal will interchange, the rear fenders are the same. The major difference is the 54/55 front fenders have a dimple or recessed area for the grille/parking light assembly. You can install the 1947/53 front sheet metal as a complete unit to a 54/55 cab, or you can install the complete sheet metal unit from a 1954/5 to a 1947/53 cab. This is true with exchanging Chevrolet sheet metal with GMC and visa versa.
I have seen a 1947/53 fender used on a 1954/55 suburban, it worked but the fender needed to be bumped in for the grille/parking light. The grille opening is square on the 1947/53 and rounded on the 1954/55.
I am not sure if the beds will interchange easily, I do know they have differences. Hope this helps. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 176 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 176 | Hi Mitchell, There are quite a few differences in the '54 sheet metal. If you go to Keith Hardy's site http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/index.htmyou can look up parts in the 1929-1957 Master Parts Catalog. For instance, on this page http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/1929_57chevyparts/57cmpc0628.htmthe rear fenders for 1947-1955 first are listed as part #3700271 (left) and #3700272(right) so they all the same. By the way I don't know what the note (exc. SGL.UNIT) means. The front fenders of the '54 are very different from the early ones. They have a recess where the parking lites go. The inner fenders are close (though not perfect). I put some early inner fenders on my '55 first with pretty good success. The cab is of course quite different (with the one piece windshield) and the bed and tailgate are different between '47-'53 and '54-'55 first. Let us know how it goes and best of luck to you. | | |
| |
| |