The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#461516 10/15/2008 2:02 AM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
I have a '52...pickup..... Good flow into the pump..very little out.... Carb dry as a bone but will run with a gravity feed...
I was going to ask if the pump could be cleaned or repaired but haven't seen indications of that being likely on this web site.
I'm checking the vacuum and will probably take the pump off next....
I have the original glass cap on mine.....

Does anyone have a diagram or outline for the fuel system?

krmitbug #461621 10/15/2008 5:33 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
bad diaphragm in the pump.
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/535.cfm
the purple thing that flexes up/down is the diaphragm wink your cam turns the pump. the pump arm may be worn.


Last edited by carolines truck; 11/01/2008 10:54 PM.

Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
You can get rebuild kits for your existing pump. You can get new or rebuilt pumps. Whichever way trips your trigger.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Tiny #467139 11/01/2008 10:44 PM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Ok....lines checked, new fuel pump installed.. no gas to carb....possibly cam?
If so, has anyone replaced the FP with an electric unit?

krmitbug #467141 11/01/2008 10:57 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
what's the tank inside like?
I had rust and flakes that blocked the (bottom feed) outlet pipe @ the tank as well once the small flakes got into the line @ the elbow, I did this old motocycle trick.
It solved my problem until I replaced the tank to under the bed.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=582585-R1-048-22A.jpg
when all is done add an inline filter under the truck.

Last edited by carolines truck; 11/01/2008 11:01 PM.

Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Tank seems fine... the line from the tank is clear...simply holding the line down..gas pours out.....

krmitbug #467188 11/02/2008 2:56 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A bad fuel pump lobe on the cam would be possible, but about as rare as a hens tooth. If you attach the line from tank to pump and attach the line from pump to carburetor...with filter removed, and then crank the engine, what comes out?

If there is junk in the tank and a flexible hose on the tank discharge, It might be old and funky and collapsing under suction.

Be sure you get fuel all the way to the carb inlet before you do anything else. If it makes it that far, the needle and seat is capable of shutting off the flow if the float is hung up or there is an dead earwig wedged in the needle/seat orifice.

atomarc #467394 11/03/2008 12:11 AM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Most of the equipment is original..... the lines from the tank to the pump and pump to the carb aren't flex....hard tubing...... gas out of the line from the tank looks clean....

Originally when I noticed the dry carb... I pulled the line to the carb off at the pump....figured that if the pump was working...cranking the engine would have yielded gas at the pump's output..it didn't...should it have?
I disconnected and cleaned the line from the pump to the carb as well...seems fine...

krmitbug #467427 11/03/2008 1:40 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
krmitbug,

If you pulled the line from tank to pump and gas poured out freely, reattached that line and pulled the one on the pump discharge side and nothing came out when you cranked the engine I can think of only two scenarios. The new pump is NFG or there is a gob of junk jammed into the suction side fitting blocking the fuel.

I don't think it's possible to stick the pump on upside down but it might be. I'm almost 100% sure you can't install the pump and have the actuator slip beneath the cam...it won't fit.

When you put the pump on, did you find it difficult to get it in and the bolts started...you should have. Even with the lobe on the heel, the actuator will need to be shoved against it a bit.

Stuart

atomarc #469344 11/09/2008 1:41 AM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Hmmmm.. I know I don't have it upside down, but it didn't seem difficult to install the pump..... I'll review my handiwork..and let you know how I make out.
Thanks for the help


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0