| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (cmayna, Leo, Hotrod Lincoln, Mike in Sycamore, Gdads51, 1955 1 Series, Bill Trotter),
127
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,280 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 8 | I have a '52...pickup..... Good flow into the pump..very little out.... Carb dry as a bone but will run with a gravity feed... I was going to ask if the pump could be cleaned or repaired but haven't seen indications of that being likely on this web site. I'm checking the vacuum and will probably take the pump off next.... I have the original glass cap on mine.....
Does anyone have a diagram or outline for the fuel system? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | bad diaphragm in the pump. http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/535.cfm the purple thing that flexes up/down is the diaphragm  your cam turns the pump. the pump arm may be worn.
Last edited by carolines truck; 11/01/2008 10:54 PM.
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | You can get rebuild kits for your existing pump. You can get new or rebuilt pumps. Whichever way trips your trigger.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 8 | Ok....lines checked, new fuel pump installed.. no gas to carb....possibly cam? If so, has anyone replaced the FP with an electric unit? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | what's the tank inside like? I had rust and flakes that blocked the (bottom feed) outlet pipe @ the tank as well once the small flakes got into the line @ the elbow, I did this old motocycle trick. It solved my problem until I replaced the tank to under the bed. http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view¤t=582585-R1-048-22A.jpgwhen all is done add an inline filter under the truck.
Last edited by carolines truck; 11/01/2008 11:01 PM.
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 8 | Tank seems fine... the line from the tank is clear...simply holding the line down..gas pours out..... | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | A bad fuel pump lobe on the cam would be possible, but about as rare as a hens tooth. If you attach the line from tank to pump and attach the line from pump to carburetor...with filter removed, and then crank the engine, what comes out?
If there is junk in the tank and a flexible hose on the tank discharge, It might be old and funky and collapsing under suction.
Be sure you get fuel all the way to the carb inlet before you do anything else. If it makes it that far, the needle and seat is capable of shutting off the flow if the float is hung up or there is an dead earwig wedged in the needle/seat orifice. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 8 | Most of the equipment is original..... the lines from the tank to the pump and pump to the carb aren't flex....hard tubing...... gas out of the line from the tank looks clean....
Originally when I noticed the dry carb... I pulled the line to the carb off at the pump....figured that if the pump was working...cranking the engine would have yielded gas at the pump's output..it didn't...should it have? I disconnected and cleaned the line from the pump to the carb as well...seems fine... | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | krmitbug,
If you pulled the line from tank to pump and gas poured out freely, reattached that line and pulled the one on the pump discharge side and nothing came out when you cranked the engine I can think of only two scenarios. The new pump is NFG or there is a gob of junk jammed into the suction side fitting blocking the fuel.
I don't think it's possible to stick the pump on upside down but it might be. I'm almost 100% sure you can't install the pump and have the actuator slip beneath the cam...it won't fit.
When you put the pump on, did you find it difficult to get it in and the bolts started...you should have. Even with the lobe on the heel, the actuator will need to be shoved against it a bit.
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 8 | Hmmmm.. I know I don't have it upside down, but it didn't seem difficult to install the pump..... I'll review my handiwork..and let you know how I make out. Thanks for the help | | |
| |
| |