The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (tclederman, Wheelie, Woodcmiami, Bill Hanlon), 112 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
I was able to get a better copy of the blue GMC truck accessories booklet, (mine went under flood water and is stained and worn). I was looking at it and I noticed something for the first time listed under the Ash Tray listing. It states as follows

Ash Tray - Vacuum Power
All Gas Models ........2233728.......$12.75

Vacuum Power? What was up with that, I don't think is was for anything like self cleaning (that sounds retarded just to say it out loud).

Anybody have an idea?

Jake Groby


1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page
Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.
BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
If it's what I think it is, then yes, it is a self cleaning, self extinguishing ash tray! I know they made them for cars in the '30s-'40s, didn't think they made them as late as 1960!


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
They were an option on 57 Chevrolet cars. Engine vacuum actually sucked the ash tray clean, butts and all. Sounds pretty far out, but I saw one work once. Not anything that I would think would be good for your engine, but Chevrolet did offer it as an option in some select years. Don't stand behind your truck if you install one of these. You might get hit by a butt!
Joe eek


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 30
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 30
I just saw one on ebay a couple days ago.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
How would that have worked? Does the butts and ashes get pulled through exhaust? I wonder how big od a hose you'd have to run to make it work? Anybody got one? I'll google it.


1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page
Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.
BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I think that the cigs of the day when these were sold didn't have any filters or foreign materials in them, Camels, Luckys ect would just disintegrate as the vacuum got rid of them.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I don't know anything about the ash tray being referred to but I can't imagine the engineers knowingly designing anything that would pull foreign debris into the engine. There must be a method by which the butts are sucked into a container for disposal but not into the engine. ohwell


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
I wonder if there was a vacuum (tapped) off the exhaust then dumped into a catch basin (hold the buts, but let teh ash pass? I wonder if it would have caused issues with teh muffler? I tried finding something on the new no luck yet?

Another wild option you could get in some cars was a record turn-table (I did not make that up) I have a picture of it in one of my books.


1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page
Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.
BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Originally Posted by V-6 Fix Modelman
Another wild option you could get in some cars was a record turn-table (I did not make that up) I have a picture of it in one of my books.

Yes, these did indeed exist. I saw one in a guy's car in the mid 60s. The ads proclaimed that the mounting was so well cushioned that the needle wouldn't skip. Yea, like WHO would believe that.

None-the-less... eyewitness here.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 196
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 196
my brother had a 57 ford with a smoky the bear on the dash while driving you would put the ashes or butt in the hat it would suck it right out

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by 32fire
my brother had a 57 ford with a smoky the bear on the dash while driving you would put the ashes or butt in the hat it would suck it right out

It seems a little ironic that an icon such as Smoky the bear would dispose of cigarette butts in such a reckless fashion.

He just spits 'em right out and causes a HUGE brush fire! nono grin

Jock. eeeek


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
I belive I saw one years ago and it had a glass jar mounted on the firewall to catch the butts and ashes.


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I don't remember seeing any smoke eaters but the players, yes.
The 45 was first released by RCA in 1949 and by '52 or '53 it was the standard for single recordings and were selling by the millions. So it was a natural that the 45 rpm players were officered early on for auto use. Most all of the auto accessory suppliers like Warshawsky’s/JC Whitney or Western Tire and electronics suppliers like Allied and Lafayette sold the in-car players. They were fairly common when I was in high school in the late 50's. The major problem was that the tone arm had to have so much pressure on them to keep the needle from skipping you would wear out your vinyl 45's in short order. And at .59c for an Elvis that .75c an hour that you got paid for pumping Sinclair gasoline dint last to long.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 11/06/2008 12:51 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
I posted this question also over at AACA site and a member found one on ebay check this out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/57-5...QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting


1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page
Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.
BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
$127.50 and the reserve isn't met, must be a couple of those guys that want one of everything for their 210! The seller doesn't show the ash tray, that is if it's still in the box, I assume that the tray itself only fits the dash of a '57-'58 Chevy Passenger car.

Denny G

Just to update this, I contacted the seller and what you see is what you get, there is no ashtray with that. I don't know how it sucks the ashes out of the stock ashtray unless you just dangle the rubber hose into the try like a vacuum cleaner! He won't post the instructions so unless someone here has them we will probably never know how they were installed. I guess it’s to much trouble to go through for a mealy $127.50!

Last edited by Denny Graham; 11/07/2008 1:25 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0