The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Shaffer's1950, Wayne67vert, Hotrod Lincoln, ‘37ChevyPU, Hanks custodian), 130 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,454
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 86
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 86
Is the driveline for a 1/2 ton Chevy AD pickup the same for both the 3 speed column and 4 speed floor transmission.
In other words, is it a straight changeout to replace one for another.


Mike
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton w/ 1959 235
1971 Chevelle
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

First is that there were at least two, maybe three different 3-speeds used '47 to '55 1st.

Second, '47 to '54 all have the closed driveline, while '55 1st (all '55 ADs) have an open driveline.

Third, there is one more transmission option in the mix, which is the Hydromatic.

I believe, and this is where I'm a little uncertain, that each transmission option means a different drive shaft and torque tube (where relevant).

Most of this is information I've picked up here, so if I've gotten any of it wrong, please someone correct me...


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
According to my parts book, there were 3 different depending on year. One is listed for 1947 only, which was the last year for the old style tranny. One listed for 48-50, same part for either 3 or 4 speed. And one listed for 51-up. I believe the only difference between the 48-50 unit and the 51 and later was a change in the torque tube bushings, but I'm not 100%.

If your's is a 48-54, you would be able to swap a 48-54 1/2 ton 4 speed for a 3 speed,or vice-versa. The tranny must be from a 1/2 ton and you must use the corresponding u-joint for the tranny.

Bob

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Bob I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Hydromatic trucks used a different torque tube. Is that incorrect?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
I have changed an automatic (P.G.) for a 3 speed in a '52 it was a direct replacement with no change to the drive shaft so the two transmissions are the same length.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
OldSub,

Yes, the torque tube for the 1/2 ton 1954 Hydra-Matic has a shorter length due to the longer length of the transmission.

The standard 3-speed, the heavy duty 3-speed, and the 4-speed transmissions are all the same length.

Tim

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1
where can i get a hydramatic for my 1954 chevy truck? please advise someone. thanks, doug carter, haynesville, la. 318-245-1150


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0