The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (FAST55, Phak1, Gib70, DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon), 135 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#467593 11/03/2008 7:15 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I doing a 1950, 3604 truck, when I did the “body off” the frame work (I never could figure out why they called it a “frame off restoration”) I was planning on replacing the original wood which is still solid throughout but badly blistered on top. The steel strips are still in good shape and still has some paint on them, there is only surface rust that easily comes off with the wire brush on the bench grinder and they aren’t bent up at all.
So I’m not really ready and probably won’t be for a couple more years but when I heard Mar-K had 10% off in October and free shipping, that just sounded like to good of a deal to pass up, even in these bad economic times.
UPS dropped off the four packages today (100lbs worth). Every thing was nicely packaged and I checked all nine boards, and they look real good, no splits or knots are the right length, they have all the through holes and countersunk holes and look like they will fit just great.
I figured I’d just as well throw in some new strips rather than take the time to clean up the old ones. And rather than try to scare up all the nuts, bolts and washers I’d get a bolt kit for the GM long box. And those came nicely baged and boxed. I know your not gonna believe this but the box when I opened it smelled like it was mildly perfumed, like a nice gentle pleasant something on the news paper packing.
Oh yes, the shipping, I ordered it last Thursday afternoon the 27th and it was delivered here this morning Monday the third.
All in all, I’d say that I would give Mar-K an A+ and highly recommend them. Once again they have held up their reputation as a US manufacturer still maintaining high standards.
Thanks guys,
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
I too am happy with the USA mfg MAR-K. I bought a complete bed assembly including tailgate for my 59 stepside 3100. I test fitted and bolted it together and like the quality. Just the packaging alone shows the service. Protected and organized! Nice to see a USA made bed and done in good quality. I recommend MAR-K as well. Great stuff.

I wanted ash and got that through another vendor, Horkey, as I had seen his stuff and decided that the less pourous and just as pretty ash was for me. He really has a nice operation as well.

Good for our hobby, these guys are!

Now if some USA rear fenders were made I would be thrilled.

Ralph


~ Rasman
1971 Chevy C10
"Old Yeller"
Saga: "'Old Yeller' ... More than a Pristine 1971 Chevy"
1959 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Legacy Gallery

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 406
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 406
Thank you so much for the kind words!
We appreciate all our customers!

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 180
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 180
I will have to third the approval of Mar K, I ordered a complete bed from them with custom upgrades and it was here in less than 2 weeks. packaging could not have been better and it is nice to buy aftermarket parts that actually fit. chinese stuf cant come close to this quality


1950 custom streetrod build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=296770

71 corvette conv, 525 hp big block
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
I also just received the new bed kit. I agree with you guys- it's nice quality and packaged well. I only have one gripe- it's not EDP coated. Maybe that's actually a good thing?

Ok, I have a question for you guys... Are the spot welds on the tailgate, and on the bedsides supposed to be smoothed out with filler? I think they were probably visible from the factory?? I'm just trying for total originalality- even got the pine boards for the bed, to paint black.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
rasman.. about the USA made rear fenders.. doesn't Dynacorn make them? I could be wrong, but that's what I'm looking for too.

Correction- I found out dynacorn's fenders are NOT made in the USA. 11/15/08

Last edited by oldcarandtrucknut; 11/16/2008 2:44 AM.
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
I am a bit surprised that there is not a GM approved replacement parts maker for rear fenders (maybe there is and we just dont know)as I think the trucks are every bit as popular as some of the cars out there that the reproduction USA stuff is being made for. Mar-K type company would be the type of USA mfg. outfit that already is set up with freight shipping and quality control that would be good. I have decided to let the bodyman work on the old original steel ones. They will need some work but they are real.


~ Rasman
1971 Chevy C10
"Old Yeller"
Saga: "'Old Yeller' ... More than a Pristine 1971 Chevy"
1959 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Legacy Gallery

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Leave the spot welds, as we have said many many times, these old trucks were utilitarian in nature and the factory never did any thing with the welds. Just check out the stake pockets where they are spot welded to the bed sides on a stock AD.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
Thanks Denny, that is what I suspected.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
Loved the gorilla-proof shipping Mar-K uses!!! Good quality at a good price and Made in USA!

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
Well, I just assembled the new Mar-K bed. Easy as pie. I started out by using heavy duty sawhorses, shimmed them to perfectly level. Started assembling the bed, checked it for square, tightened everything down, test fit the boards... it's only taken me a couple leisurely hours. Now, if only I had my fenders here, it would be ready to take to the paint booth.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
Firs MAK k IS great to do business with, I've ordered the following and nary a complaint.

Bed Wood, Front of Bed, Bed Rails, Bred Strips and Complete Bed Bolt Set.

BTW I painted the bed wood with Por-15 and then Gloss Black. Came out great.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/568419115tPfSKV

But I'm trying to figure out how I should start the bed re-assembly. Anybody got pictures? Or what steps you've taken to reassemble the rails, wood and bed?


1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page
Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.
BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 406
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 406
V-6 Fix Modelman:
If you ordered parts from us you should have received bed assembly instructions, which includes information & pictures on how to put the bed together. If not, let me know and I'll send them to you. Just PM me with your name and address and what truck you are working on.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
I finally finished my bedwood and installed (a year later...)
Very impressed with the quality of the wood, thickness of the bed sides and tailgate, Wish that they coulda given me a break on shipping....(Canada Eh!)...Nice tight grained red Oak, with out a single Knot!, I would recommend them to anyone!


My GMC has a bad case of ship fitters disease!
GMC: Get More Cash...
1958 GMC
1956 Chevy 1500 Hydraulic Dump Truck
1952 Chevy 1700 3-Ton Firetruck

My Webshots photos

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0