The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Oswald, 1955 1 Series, Gdads51, Peggy M, 1 invisible), 119 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,352
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#465756 10/28/2008 9:44 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 30
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 30
How much, if any, oil smoke is to be expected from the vents in the valve cover? I have noticed smoke from all three vents when I turn off the engine after its hot. I can smell it when I am driving. I know this is expected to some extent or the vents wouldn't be there. How much is normal is what I am asking I guess. This is a stock 216. Thanks

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
There should be no smoke when it is running. Its possible the road draft tube is stopped up. If there is very much smoke coming out of the vents or road draft tube it means the compression rings are bad. You might try a heavier weight oil.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
I suspect what you are seeing is water vapor from the vents condensing outside the engine, but you shouldn't smell any of that when you are driving. Usually any smell of oil while driving is from a leak. Have you looked for leaks? The valve cover is a good place to start looking, and also the side cover. If you see vapor condensing from the road draft tube when the engine is stopped, I don't think the tube is plugged, but it is a good idea to check/clean it. If there is concern of ring wear and blow-by, do dry and wet compression tests- an increase on compression pressure more than 20-25 PSI indicates ring or cylinder wear.

Harvester

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Those vents are there for air to enter while the truck is going down the road. The draft tube is supposed to draw crankcase fumes out the bottom. You should take the draft tube off and clean it. It is also possible that you have worn rings.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 30
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 30
What weight oil do you guys recommend for a '47 216. I have been using Castrol 10w-30. Any thoughts?

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
If it's loose 40 weight. At least that's what I use on my F$%# 2N.


~Jim
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
So, should the vents be open towards the front or towards the rear? Does the valve cover fit both ways? I get a bit of smoke out of the vents once the engine is off. ('47 216)


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
The vents face rear.

Harvester

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
You know if you let all the smoke out , it stops working ..... smile grin

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
I thought that was just for British wiring. smile


Bill Schickling

1940 1/2 ton, 1940 3/4 ton
My web page

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0