| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,084 Posts1,056,334 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 30 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 30 | How much, if any, oil smoke is to be expected from the vents in the valve cover? I have noticed smoke from all three vents when I turn off the engine after its hot. I can smell it when I am driving. I know this is expected to some extent or the vents wouldn't be there. How much is normal is what I am asking I guess. This is a stock 216. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | There should be no smoke when it is running. Its possible the road draft tube is stopped up. If there is very much smoke coming out of the vents or road draft tube it means the compression rings are bad. You might try a heavier weight oil. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 461 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 461 | I suspect what you are seeing is water vapor from the vents condensing outside the engine, but you shouldn't smell any of that when you are driving. Usually any smell of oil while driving is from a leak. Have you looked for leaks? The valve cover is a good place to start looking, and also the side cover. If you see vapor condensing from the road draft tube when the engine is stopped, I don't think the tube is plugged, but it is a good idea to check/clean it. If there is concern of ring wear and blow-by, do dry and wet compression tests- an increase on compression pressure more than 20-25 PSI indicates ring or cylinder wear.
Harvester | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Those vents are there for air to enter while the truck is going down the road. The draft tube is supposed to draw crankcase fumes out the bottom. You should take the draft tube off and clean it. It is also possible that you have worn rings. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 30 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 30 | What weight oil do you guys recommend for a '47 216. I have been using Castrol 10w-30. Any thoughts? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | If it's loose 40 weight. At least that's what I use on my F$%# 2N.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 393 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 393 | So, should the vents be open towards the front or towards the rear? Does the valve cover fit both ways? I get a bit of smoke out of the vents once the engine is off. ('47 216)
It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 461 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 461 | The vents face rear.
Harvester | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | You know if you let all the smoke out , it stops working .....  | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 338 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 338 | I thought that was just for British wiring.  | | |
| |
| |