The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hanks custodian, KEVINSKI, DadsFirstPickup, Ponchogl), 224 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#464622 10/24/2008 9:23 PM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 156
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 156
Hello. My 1951 3100 has been titled in Kansas all its life. The VIN on the title is and always has been the "engine serial number" (the number stamped on a boss behind the distributor). I assume most people consider the "vehicle serial number" (the number on a metallic plate on the door frame), to be the VIN.

So why would the State of Kansas, 57 years ago, use the engine serial number instead of the vehicle serial number on the title?

You Kansans out there, what number is on your title?

It's a problem now because my mom has signed the title over to me and I live in Oklahoma. I gave my insurance guy the vehicle serial number, so now the VIN on my title and the VIN on my insurance don't match, and I can't get a tag.

Even if I have my insurance guy change the number to the engine serial number, I'm concerned that, when the Oklahoma tag agent visually inspects my vehicle, they'll say, "That's not the VIN".

Any thoughts, especially you Kansans?


DJ
'51 Chevy 3104 1/2-ton 216
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
I don't know about Kansas, but apparently in many states pre-57 or so the engine number was used. It's too bad that so many people who work in DMV offices are illiterate to this common occurance with old vehicles. I suggest you get the insurance agent to change the number to the VIN shown on the title and request a visual inspection from the OK tag agent....


Professional Novice
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
If your engine number mathces the number on the title you should have no problem. Any inspector knows that the engine number on many old vehicles was the number used on the title regardles of the state. The problem comes when the engine has been changed at one time & no one changed the title.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 156
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 156
Thanks Wrenchbender and Frank50. It's clear that where I screwed up was when I told my insurance guy, "the number on the title is not really the VIN", and he said "then give me the right VIN". I caused this problem. I hate it when that happens.

Hopefully, my insurance guy will change the number on the policy. He's a bit of a stickler.


DJ
'51 Chevy 3104 1/2-ton 216
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Most states used the engine number as the VIN through '55. It 'taint just Kansas.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0