| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
11 members (52Carl, carbking, Gdads51, Bill Hanlon, 1955 1 Series, 2-Ton, Robert Crandall, fonz8261, greenie-reddy, 2 invisible),
116
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,124 Posts1,056,347 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 83 | I am doing the full flow filter conversion on my 235 engine and am stuck with which filter to use. I got a list today from Napa of the suitable filters for my remote mount base, and it shows many different filters with different bypass valve settings. 8-11 psi is the most common, is this Ok? I also have a choices of 7-9, 11-13, 12-15, 13-19, and 15-17. Help my brain hurts. Thanks Jason | | | | | Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 455 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 455 | The bypass valve reacts to the pressure difference between input and output of the filter. Lower ratings are safer in maintaining oil flow, if the media is clogged or during cold start with thicker oil viscosity grades. Remember bypassing oil filters means dirty oil gets in between the bearings and journals. A high efficiency quality filter like Napa gold doesn't really require a bypass valve. But that is just what works for me and how I use and maintain my lubing system. Most folks prefer the added safety of a bypass valve. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 83 | Thanks On the Road. I think I narrowed it down to the Napa Gold P/N 1515 it has the bypass set at 8-11 psi. Thanks Jason | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 275 | Jason, I ran a 1515 on my 235 (along with a cannister type by-pass filter) for approx. 140 K mi. When pulled for teardown it was reported to be very little wear & super clean. Was done as a story by the next owner in Classic Trucks mag. Was reported to still show the honing cross-hatch marks in the cyl. walls & the crank only needed polishing, not regrinding to be re-used. I gave no thought to the by-pass press., I just always use that P/N due to it having a large filter area & being a very popular P/N for store stock. Using one on my current 292 motor in my '55. Doug | | |
| |
| |