| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (klhansen, 37 GC, 1 invisible),
73
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,112 Posts1,056,577 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 23 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 23 | Guys, I tried SEARCH, but page after page took me off in different directions. Here's my problem: I got a set of new door latches from the guy that I bought my '51 Chev COE off of. Don't know where they came from, but today I installed them. The driver side latch works part of the time (after a lot of 'adjusting') and the passenger side doesn't work at all. I'll buy another set, but I don't want the same junk.
Any suggestions as to QUALITY door latches for my truck? Thanks much.
~Bruce
Last edited by oc51; 10/07/2008 3:32 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | I've run into the same problem, the first one I ordered wouldn't work at all and the replacement wasn't much better. I think they all come from china. I would suggest trying to rebuild an original. If your patient, you can take them apart and file new stops and peen the shafts to tighten them up. Hit the swap meets and maybe you can find something better than what you got. Last resort just check with the venders and see if they will bench test one before they ship it to you. Just my 2$. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 403 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 403 | I have recieved quality parts from two places in Calif. 1 The Truck and Car Shop in Orange Ca. 2 The Brothers Trucks in Corona Ca. Both these companys will refund your money or exchange out the bad parts for you. They are exellent to deal with and good Tech Support people. Good Luck. Could it possibaly be bad Striker plates? I had that problem and used both new. 62Blue Don
Last edited by Don G.; 10/07/2008 5:17 AM.
62Blue 62Chevy in progress You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 425 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 425 | Don't waste your time or money on "new" door latches from overseas. Use originals, repair them as needed... it's well worth it. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 428 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 428 | This is off topic, but I had the same problem using the search function. Click on, and read the advanced search options. It has made my life here a LOT easier. 8-) | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 23 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 23 | Thanks, all of you. I've got one working pretty well now, after a little filing & a lot of greasing. I feel confident that I can get the other functional with enough work. You're right- it's Chinese junk. Shame the originals were missing so many springs, etc. Don, I'm noting your quality vendors. Thank you.
(Advanced Search Options. Got it! Thanks, Jimmie D!)
~Bruce | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | When I was looking for the same thing, my Classic Truck parts supplier said he doesn't carry the repros anymore because they are no good. I waited a long time and bought some NOS original GM locks on Ebay. | | |
| |
| |