Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,339 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 1 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2008 Posts: 1 | Any places I can find new gears for the rear end. I have the housing and axles but none of the third member | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | There are tons of them around 4.57 and 5.14 three quarter and wontoners are the same. Just put an ad in the Parts Wanted forum, you'll probably even be able to find one close to home. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 47 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 47 | If your rearend is the original Eaton HO52 or HO72, a third member from a 1967 thru '72 Chevy/GMC C20 3/4-Ton truck will plug right in with no modifications. I installed a complete third member with 4.10 gears and the "No Slip" option in my '49 Chevy 3/4-Ton. Check out www.67-72chevytrucks.com. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | I did the same thing this summer, the only provlem with that is finding a decent 4.10. I looked for nearly two years till I finally found one 300 miles away. The ones that I mentioned are like I said, pretty common. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2018 Posts: 30 Olddog | | Olddog Joined: Oct 2018 Posts: 30 | Help, I own a 1948 GMC, trouble is don't know if it is a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. Any glues how to figure it out. I thank you for any and all help. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2018 Posts: 30 Olddog | | Olddog Joined: Oct 2018 Posts: 30 | Hello, I am originally from Belvidere, Il. Retired South. Your name sure sounds familiar. I am 66 yrs. Old and my ame is Mike Follis. You ever run around Belvidere area? | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I believe you'e responding to a 10 year old thread. We now have a tech tip on swapping gears for the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/axles/1%20Ton%20Upgrade/1/2 ton will have (originally had) 6 lug axles and an enclosed driveshaft. 3/4 ton has 8 lugs and open driveshaft, at least at the differential. | | |
| |