The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (2-Ton, baldeagle), 81 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,097
Posts1,056,495
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#458673 10/05/2008 5:48 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 14
W
New Guy
New Guy
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 14
headscratch
Here I am, Novice to the world of trucks. I have a running 55 chevy one ton with a 6 cyl. Runs, but smokes some. More than I would want from a respectable truck. Smokes more when cold. Smokes less when warm, but still continues to smoke. No big black smoke, but I don't I will ever have a problem with misquotoes either. Suggestions I have received is maybe a valve job. Is that very expensive? Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, WoodChips


WoodChips
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
WoodChips,

My bet is you are describing worn rings not valves. I think your engine needs a rebuild. A valve job would not cure the problem, it could make it worse. Have you taken compression readings yet?

Stuart


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0