The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Wally / Montana, BCBill, Gdads51, 66flea, Rusted Nut), 182 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,176
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
My Dad and I have finally gotten back to working on our 1951 1-ton Panel truck. We have a solid 250 out of a fork lift that we want to replace the existing motor with, because the motor that is in the truck sounds like there's an angry badger trying to get out of the crankcase. I've read about people running into issues with drive shaft length and motor mounts, but what should we expect as far as the firewall and radiator to fan clearance? Also, we were planning on using the existing transmission for the time being. Any thoughts or advice for what kind of problems we might have in these and other areas would be appreciated. By the way, we are using the stock transmission, but we're putting a more road friendly rear end under the truck. Thanks for the help!


When at first you don't succeed, get a larger hammer.

1953 Chevrolet 6400 Flatbed
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
I to am putting a 250 in my 54 3100. My first take is that due to the length of the water pump/pulleys/fan, ect., that it will require a pusher fan and fabricating motor mounts and a rear cross member. I'll keep you posted and can come up with some pic's in the process. I'm setting mine up with 350 tranny.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
Thanks, Yakimabowtie. I was debating getting off of my rarely opened wallet and buying an electric pusher for the panel truck as well. As you said, it won't be a big deal to fabricate the motor mounts, I'm just concerned about cutting firewalls and moving transmissions and such. I appreciate your keeping me posted.

P.S.: The other alternative for us is to put a 305 in to replace the current motor, if that is an easier route to take. I'd rather stay with an inline 6 though, because it seems like every classic/custom with 4 wheels and a seat has a small block chevy under the hood. I-6's are unique.


When at first you don't succeed, get a larger hammer.

1953 Chevrolet 6400 Flatbed
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
i put a 292 in a 51 1/2T.
it's about the same process really. all L-6 motors are the same length, excluding a 302 & 308. the 292 is taller. yes there may be issues w/ fans and i do have a pusher installed now e/w two relays! it's not a big deal @ all.we haven't fired the puppy up yet but we're close. and we did re-locate the rad a bit forward.
we fit the engine as FAR back as possible. if you run an auto (we have a T5) tranny you may have to cut some around the cab interior at the tran cover to make her fit back. don't know that for sure, someone else does.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=579990-R1-020-8A.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=579990-R1-012-4A.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=DSC00313.jpghttp://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=8.jpg
grin

Last edited by carolines truck; 09/30/2008 12:47 AM.

Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
If you want to run your stock 3 or 4 speed trans you will have to find a bellhousing out of any truck with a V8 from 55-66, or a 63-66 6 cyl. The bellhousing pattern is different between the 216/235 and 250. Later than 66 will work also, but does not include provisions for the side mounts.

Devin


If you can't hose it out it ain't a truck

55 3100
63 Corvair Monza
64 El Camino
72 240Z
01 Suburban
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
I was planning on dropping you a line, Carolines truck. It looks like you beat me to the punch. Those pusher fans are looking like a good alternative to the old mechanical one we've got. We've already tinkered with the radiator a little, since we managed to come across the heavy duty truck radiator at a boneyard, consequently we had to contend with the 4" thick tanks versus the 3" ones on the standard truck radiators. Thanks for the links to the photos. We haven't had a chance to take the fenders off, so its nice to get an idea of what to contend with on frame modifications. We're sticking with the manual transmission, so hopefully we won't have too much hassle bolting the 250 to it. Dad and I were just going to stick with the stock trans for now. Both of us are wary about putting a t-5 out of an s-10 in a 1-ton panel. It seemed like too weak of a transmission for that size truck.


When at first you don't succeed, get a larger hammer.

1953 Chevrolet 6400 Flatbed
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
use a 54 or 55 1st series bellhousing crossmember with the bellhousing that 55 trackor recommended just make sure it is not a hydrolic clutch


1949 SUBURBAN
In the Gallery
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 130
S
sps Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 130
I have had a 292 in my 53 1/2 T since 1985, I used a starfire trany,(T5) and a 55 passenger car drive shaft and a 59 1/2 ton rear. Excpt the eng., it all bolted up. I cut the top out of the radiator support and moved it forword. The motor mounts were tricky, I cut them of the frame of the 72 1/2T P.U. I got the motor out of. Hope this will help you. Was starting to think I was the only one who put a 292 in. Glad I'm not.
Steve

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
Thanks again for all of your input, everyone. I'm learning a few new things that I didn't know to watch out for, like what bell housing I'd need and possible cross members to replace my existing one. This is taking a lot of the guesswork out of the install, and I appreciate everyone's responses. They were fortuitously timed, since Dad and I are heading to Carlisle this weekend to hunt for parts. I'll have to add your recommendations to my list of stuff to buy (with some price haggling, naturally).


When at first you don't succeed, get a larger hammer.

1953 Chevrolet 6400 Flatbed
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
''' like what bell housing I'd need and possible cross members to replace my existing one. ''''
there are two tranny hole sizes that are available in bellhousings. the sm420 trans. uses the smaller one, the T5 uses the larger diameter. my simple
2x3'' box cross arm across the T5 tranny uses a stock chevy T5 rubber mount. the frame is re-inforced at each side w/18'' welded support. all grade 8 bolts.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=15.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=DSC00367.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=17.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=582585-R1-052-24A.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=582585-R1-050-23A.jpg

Last edited by carolines truck; 09/30/2008 5:04 PM.

Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 130
S
sps Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 130
I just got done reviewing the 1951otter photo album. Most impressive, I like Bufflow Steves motor mounts. They are better than what I cam up with in 85. Did he make them up, or get them from someplace? I would like to do the same to my truck. Can you help me out?
Steve, [email protected]

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
contact Steve at Buffalo Enterprises advertises in Inliners International. he used to have a shop in sacramento
many moons ago. - phone number: (360) 652-7684 Arlington, Washington 98223.
read this:
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...amp;Main=7964&Number=50051#Post50051
he does not have email, web page, just a telephone. he is very old school. He makes them per your engine and frame out of 1/4'' plate, he cuts about 8-9 pieces
and you weld them up best to fit your trucks configuration. he supplies the biscuit mounts as shown.
http://www.sachserodshop.com/pdf/5.pdf
sachse also carries motor mounts and biscuits.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=11.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=12.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=579990-R1-024-10A.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=579990-R1-012-4A.jpg

Last edited by carolines truck; 10/01/2008 5:04 PM.

Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 130
S
sps Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 130
Thanks for the info, my mounts have worked for 20 years but are not that nice and clean looking. The left one has always been to close to the steering box. I'll look into this. Thanks again,
Steve


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0