| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,433 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#45559 07/12/2002 1:33 AM | Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 81 Member | | Member Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 81 | I finally started in on the brakes on my 54 3600. The rear wheel cyls came right out, but the front ones seem like you have to pull the hub to get it out. I was hoping to avoid having to mess with the bearings if I could, any advice or do I have to get greasy and try to pick up the loose ball bearing as they pop out ? :confused: | | |
#45560 07/12/2002 2:33 PM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Yes, you will have to remove the front drums. If the balls fall out of the bearings, you need to replace the bearings. You also need to repack the front wheel bearings every few thousand miles per the shop manual. Also, replace the grease seals when you have the drums off, they're probably old and hard by now.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
#45561 07/12/2002 3:00 PM | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 122 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 122 | I just finished doing the same job. If you have not inspected the bearings before, you should do that while you have them out. All you need to do is clean them up enough to see if there is any pitting. If there is, replace that bearing. I was able to save 3 of the 4 front bearings (only had to replace the left outer bearing) on my truck. Mine had obviously not been maintained very well by the PO as none of the grease fittings anywhere had been used let alone repacking bearings. Yes, you will get greasy  but that is half the fun of working on these old beasts. If you don't have a service manual, when you replace the hubs the spindle nut should be torqued to 33 ft lbs and then backed off to line up the hole for the cotter pin. That will result in the correct pressure on the front bearings. Good luck and have fun.
Steve 55 1st Series 3/4 ton
| | |
#45562 07/12/2002 10:26 PM | Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 81 Member | | Member Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 81 | Thanks for the help, Fred & Steve. I agree it probably is just as well to inspect the bearings as the truck was last on the road in '75. I just hauled it out of a garage in May, but it appears to have been well prepped for storage - everything was greased, battery gone and somebody even wedged a bar against the clutch pedal so it wouldn't stick. After the brakes I get to start fooling with the engine. | | |
| |
| |