The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hotrod Lincoln, klhansen), 119 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,357
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#454678 09/21/2008 11:48 PM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 11
H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 11
I need to hook up a factory tach for a 64-66 chevy truck. It will be hooked up to a 292 6 cyl. Anyone know what it takes to get one installed and working?

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 11
H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 11
On the front, numbers are 935-107 CM-1
On the back, Sun tachometer model OE-6

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
i have removed several originals and installed several aftermarket. should be able to remove dash insert and install gauge on back. if your harness isn't set up for it you should be able to add it on. prob like most tachs one wire to coil, one to hot, one to ground. good luck hopefully someone who knows more can jump in as well. hr

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
sorry i forgot the originals have a remote unit too under the dash by heater it has the 4 terminals.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 11
H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 11
Where can I send this tach for repair? Our local shop won't touch Sun.

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
What is wrong with your tach? Do you only need to hook it up? You can check the meter movement by connecting an ohmmeter across the terminals, observing polarity- the ohmmeter will read several hundred ohms and the needle will show something on the RPM scale. Set the ohmmeter to the lowest range, so as not to apply the higher voltage that comes with the higher ranges. If the meter movement works, the trouble is either with the connections or in the transmitter itself. The transmitter is the box that connects to the ignition system and drives the meter movement. The connections on the transmitter are distributor or coil negative terminal, ground (I think), and meter + and -. I believe they are all marked. If you reverse the meter connections and all else is all right, the meter will read backwards. The transmitter has a battery inside, which probably is dead by now. I don't know the type, but I believe it is a 'coin' type, probably nickle-cadmium. I don't remember if there is an access cover for the battery, or if you have to take the transmitter cover off- I think you have to take the cover off. There is or may be a relay inside the transmitter that may also be causing trouble, but the transmitters are usually pretty durable. I don't think I have a schematic of the transmitter; if I do, I doubt I could find it.

If the meter movement itself needs repair, find an aircraft instrument repair shop- they can repair that type of meter movement, but it will probably cost you a small fortune for their attention. The meter is a common D'Arsonval moving coil movement, made by practically every instrument maker in the world, but now replaced by less expensive movements or by digital circuits. An old watch repair man might be able to repair it, depending on what happened to it. A common failure was/is for the axle to come loose from the coil, then the movement quits moving; but an instrument or watch repair man can correct that without trouble, and adjust the bearings properly.

Or you can probably find someplace advertising on the Internet that can do that kind of repair.

There may be other ways to handle this, depending on what is wrong with the setup.

Hope this helps. Keep in touch.

Harvester

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 11
H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 11
This is all the pieces I have:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299083

I'm assuming the OE-6 means its for a 6 cylinder. Looking in my assembly manual, it showed one tach for the 8 and a different one for the 6, but no transmitter.

Last edited by Halfton65; 10/20/2008 2:14 PM.
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
check with Bowtiebits.com in Wichita Ks. for repairs.


dj durant

1964 Chevrolet C-10 Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0