The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TUTS 59, Robert Crandall), 77 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 28
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 28
I have what appears to be a 53 Five window, (was it available?) based on the doors. I know I have a 55 235ci, trans unknown still, radiator is indicating 53, I think.

Anyway-

Looking at Grumpy's catalog for door latches, they show left and right (mounted in door) for 47-51 using four mounting screws, 52-55 1st using three. The strikers mounted on cab use four for 47-55 1st.

I was told it was a 51 with the original 216, so what do I know? I guess every part you have has to be looked over?

Though I'd share. I've been all over your search feature for two months, and I can't believe how much info is out there. Thanks.


Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
What is the vin#? Does it have push button door handles or pull down door handles? Does it have vent windows? If it has vent windows and pull down door handles it's a 51. If it has push button door handles it's either a 52-53-54. Does it have a bar grile or bullnose? Bullnose is a 54 or 55 1st series. Five windows was available for all of the AD series.

Last edited by AD_Pickup; 09/24/2008 5:16 AM.
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
This...
[IMG]http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/41931/2114747330096215731S200x200Q85.jpg[/IMG]
is a correct 1951 door. And by a strange coincidence, it is on a 1951 truck! Like AD says, this truck was also available with the deluxe(5-window)cab, but the farmer who first worked this particular old girl had no interest in fancy-smancy gewgaws.

If this door had a pushbutton handle it would be correct for '52 & up, and if it had no vent(no-draft)window, '50 & back. Mind, though, that all these doors were interchangeable from 47/2 to 55/1.

As to the engine, the quickest way to tell a 216 from a '55 235 is the valve cover. This..
[IMG]http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/44075/2412351800096215731S200x200Q85.jpg[/IMG]
is a '53 216. a '55 235 would have 4 bolts holding the valve cover to the head; 2 on each side.

(Left-click on either image for a bigger version.)


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 156
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 156
Hotshoe:

I thought a 216 had a tall pushrod cover that encompasses the spark plugs (my '51 does), not a short pushrod cover that stops below the plugs (as shown in the picture)??? Maybe by '53 they no longer used the tall cover??


DJ
'51 Chevy 3104 1/2-ton 216
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
You're right, DJ. Looks as if '53 was a transition year, because there are other differences between my '51 and '53 engines, though they are both 216's. I'd like to know what else the '53 head fits, for example.


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Water pump is in the wrong spot for a 216 also isn't it? I think ya better check the numbers on that block Mark.
But then again, didn't GM get things all mixed up, north of the border back in those days???
Denny G

Last edited by Denny Graham; 09/25/2008 1:38 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Looks like a '55 or later 235 with a 216 valve cover to me.
I just disguised a '55 235 that way for my '52. It also has the adapter plate for the 216 water pump.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19
Try running the casting number through http://www.adchevy.com/tools/castinglookup/ or check the list on inliners.org

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Originally Posted by Denny Graham
Water pump is in the wrong spot for a 216 also isn't it? I think ya better check the numbers on that block Mark.
But then again, didn't GM get things all mixed up, north of the border back in those days???
Denny G

216's in Canada had a short sidecover in 1951 and possibly earlier but they never had the later style water pump. Hotshoe's engine can't be earlier than 1955.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0