The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TooMany2count, 68ironhead, Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny), 145 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,251
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#453583 09/18/2008 7:11 AM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 71
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 71
Hi all.. Recently I had a thread going on gas mileage for a 1962 1/2 ton 235.. Everyone was extremely helpful and I ended up swapping out my stock rear which had a 3.90 R&P, with a 1969 rear that had 3.07 R&P.. What a difference..!! I'm stoked with the results.. Still running 25 inch tires but was thinking of upgrading my rim size so I could get a taller but thin tire on there.. Maybe 27"s instead?

Anyway, now my attention is drawn towards my transmission.. Currently running the stock 4 speed with the granny.. Not exactly sure this is the right tranny to be running with my new rear end..? I think I may have better choices.. Was hoping for some input and suggestions from you guys again..

My application is very light duty.. No heavy hauling save for a toolbox and some light aluminum ladders.. My main goal is to make things easy on my motor, good fuel economy and practical daily driving.. About 50% freeway and 50% in the city..
I was thinking a T5 perhaps? Anyone with experience or suggestions would be appreciated.. smile

I guess my only concern is not making the engine lug.. So maybe I upgrade the tranny and keep the smaller tires or? I don't know.. That's why I'm posting.. smile
I do like the manual transmission.. Maybe there is a good 5 speed i can use or a 4 speed without the granny?

Thanks, Richie Blue

Last edited by Richie Blue; 09/18/2008 7:14 AM.

62 Chevy windshields rock...!!
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
if you like the change, I would leave it as is..


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Why not just drive it for a while and see what you think of it the way it is. Over time you'll discover something you'll wish you had and then tailor the mod to fit your needs.

As far a "lugging" your engine, don't worry about it unless it becomes a serious problem in your everyday use of the truck.

That SM420 is a rock crusher of a tranny and essentially a fully syncro 3-speed which should be totally adequate for daily use. Remember that these things came with 3-speeds that were only syncro in second and third. I have an SM420 in mine and wouldn't think of swapping it out.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 71
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 71
Thanks for the input so far.. I do like the SM420 I have.. It is a bit noisy and wines.. I don't know if thats the way it's suppose to sound or not? It functions very well and it has plenty of transmission fluid in it.. so I assume that is how they are suppose to sound? Or perhaps it is time to rebuild it or get a new one? Anyway, I have gone through just about everything in the truck from front to rear with the exception of the transmission.. I thought it my last frontier on this truck save for the body and tires..
If I need to get into the transmission I figured while I had it out I may as well check my options?


62 Chevy windshields rock...!!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0