The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (rfs56trk, Jon G, Hush, Bill Hanlon), 112 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,205
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 81
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 81
I pulled the block & tranny out of my truck this past weekend, but I wimped out and waited until the temp hit 12 above in my unheated garage. I'm pretty sure they come out faster at that temperature and the only problem I had was the temporary freezing of my nose to the fender when I was reaching for one of the radiator support bolts under the fender. Kind of reminds me back in the school days when you'd wait for a good cold day(under 15 F) and try to trick the new kid at the bus stop into licking their finger and touching a stop sign post or something metal - always good for a laugh. Gotta have fun with that cold weather.
Now for the problem, I got the block all stripped and can't get the Harmonic balancer off.
I made up a puller with a 1/2" center bolt tapped thru a 1/2" steel plate and the two 3/8" bolts screwed into the pulley. I even ground a point on the end of the 1/2" bolt, but the thing won't budge.
I'm just using a grade 3 bolt and it feels like I might twist it off. I don't care about my puller, but I don't want to damage the Harmonic balancer or crank, any tips ? (other than heat it up?)
Thanks

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
O
Oly Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
Sounds like you may have the right idea going there. Just heat the center area up good and get a BFhammer and whack the end of your bolt a good one or two. Make sure you have your finger on the end of the bolt to hold it in place.

ps
Did you get my email about where you could get a "good head"?


Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 81
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 81
Oly,
I did not get your email, try it again.
Thanks,
Kevin

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 112
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 112
Well (mainer) talk about cold.. here in Northern
Ontario our local weather station reported a
wind chill factor of -41 degrees..I think I'm
head'n back to bed..


1946 chevy 1/2 ton panel
1937 ford coupe

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0