Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#45208 01/17/2004 2:26 PM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 9 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 9 | I just purchased a 1950 Chevy 1 1/2 ton truck. Is there any way other than the Vin plate number to find out what the truck is. I did a search on the vin number and it says that it is a 1/2 ton truck. Is there a number on the frame? The truck has 8.25 x 20 tires on it and it has a long wheelbase. Thanks.
Friends don't let friends drive F**ds.
| | |
#45209 01/17/2004 3:52 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 | I believe there is no number on the '50 frame. At least this is what my truck told me. Maybe he's wrong 
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#45210 01/17/2004 3:59 PM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 | Why don't you post the VIN here and we'll look at it and see if we can help identify it.
Professional Novice
| | |
#45211 01/17/2004 4:19 PM | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 33 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 33 | | | |
#45212 01/17/2004 4:45 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 | ove, That link is totally awesome. I was able to confirm my truck's birthdate and place.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#45213 01/17/2004 5:40 PM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 9 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 9 | Thanks for the replys. I just measured the wheelbase and it is 173 inches. I think it is a 2 ton. The vin is 1HPH17122. I am thinking that maybe someone did a cab swap on it at one time.
Friends don't let friends drive F**ds.
| | |
#45214 01/17/2004 5:54 PM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 | Dang finally I figured out what went wrong with my VIN.
I have an original registration from 1957 but it uses the engine number. When the truck was put back on the road after it's slumber they used the VIN number, only they made a typo. They typed:
H540012205
Every time I have tried to run that VIN I get an unknown code for assembly plant. Today looking at that site I figured it out. It should be:
H54O012205
after the 54 is not a zero but an O for Oakland CA
That makes more sense, cool totally local truck.
54 3100 with 235 62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
| | |
#45215 01/18/2004 2:34 AM | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Hey bowtie, That ID plate No. starting with "HP" you gave, is indeed indicating a 1950 1/2 ton. If it's a 2ton, it should start with either, "TV"- 6100 series, 137in. wheelbase, "TW"-6400 series, 161in. wheelbase,or "TY"- 6500 series, 179in. wheelbase. On most(not all) '50 model trucks a series designation emblem was placed on each side of the hood under the "Chevrolet" emblems. | | |
#45216 01/18/2004 3:47 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 | Tony M, Mine was also born in Raider nation -argh! :mad:
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#45217 01/18/2004 3:55 PM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 | If I understand it right, mine is something like the 11,000 made in 54? But is that all at the Oakland plant? Could they have built 1,000 units per month? Surely they were making other cars as well as trucks.
I did a little searching but could not readily find any production numbers.
54 3100 with 235 62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
| | |
#45218 01/18/2004 4:51 PM | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | DutchTony - the serial numbers were "system wide" amd always started at some "non-zero" number - according to Standard Catalog of American Trucks there were total 5611 HS series trucks in 1950, so yours was prolly # 2205
Bill | | |
| |