The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (55shaker, MickeyP, Bill Hanlon, 3B, Gdads51, Ridgeback, Gray_Ghost, 32Fordpuchoptop), 112 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,304
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#450935 09/10/2008 5:01 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 77
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 77
I am doing the waterpump relocation with the adapter plate. I have a new pump on the way. What I need is a little help from someone who has done this swap. I need to know what the diameter is for a early harmonic balancer and a late one. I am using the little 3/8 belt. According to the paper that came with the plate, I need to use the balancer from a 54 235 so it doesn't spin the fan and pump too fast. Thanks

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I have 1960 261 harmonic balance and a 1954 235 harmonic balance and they are the same size (trucks).

Are you sure the instructions were not referring to the pulley on the water pump (or on the generator/alternator)?

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
My understanding was that the car balancer had a larger diameter pulley and the truck version was the one to look for to get the right fan speed.

From the e-bay listing of the adapter:

Caution: Do not use the 1955-62 PASSENGER balancer since the pulley is larger and will turn the pump too fast. (to identify this balancer pulley is 6 3/4" OD X 5/8" outside to outside edge)




1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 157
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 157
Well, there's definitely a difference of some sort. I'm in the process of putting a 1955 235 C.I. 6 cyl. truck engine (dated Feb 6, 1955) in a friend's truck. The old engine was was a 1955 passenger car engine dated June 14, 1955. It has hydraulic lifters, the truck engine has solids.

The truck engine must have a bigger harmonic balancer, because I had to get a fan belt 2" longer than what was used. This is with the old water pump and alternator being used on the replacement engine.

They use different dipsticks too, by the way.
Fred

Last edited by fredstev; 09/10/2008 7:34 PM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I was referring to truck 235s and 261s - sorry. I do not know about car 235s and 261s.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0