The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#449318 09/05/2008 5:31 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 99
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 99
Hope this is the best forum for my question.

I am working on a 58 1/2 ton Chevy Stepside without power steering.

Do I have to disassemble the steering gear box to replace the seal on the short splined shaft that connects to the steering linkage? (Gear box and steering column are out of truck)

If I do not have to dissable the gear box, how do I get the seal out, what type of tool is needed, any tips would be appreciated. wave

Thanks in advance

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy JD Bob, you may be able to thread a sheet metal screw into the metal section of the seal and use it to lift or pry the seal out, you could use a slide hammer on the screw if you have one, hope that helps.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 99
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 99
Thanks Shop Shark,

I used your suggestion and it worked.

I am new to this restoration game and learn something every day.

I have come to know my NAPA people and their great inventory. They had the seal for the steering box in stock. Price was about $1.00 more than from a big outfit in Long Beach. If you add shipping from CA there is a big savings through NAPA. Give them a try next time. wave


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0