The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (59 fleet, 3800GUY, Charles in CA, IHPWR), 144 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44923 02/23/2005 2:24 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 43
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 43
What is the correct number of ball bearings to put in the ball nut of a '50 1/2 ton steering gear? The Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual (1948-51) recommends 30 balls in each of the two circuits, which includes the balls within the two ball guides. However, after installing 60 balls (9/32 in dia.), I could see spaces between the balls when I turned the ball nut and looked between the two halves of each ball guide. To experiment, I was able to add 10 more balls, which I think completely filled both circuits and which did not seen to affect the functioning of the ball nut. I am tempted to continue with the rebuild of the steering gear, but first I would welcome and appreciate some input for the brain pool on this board.

#44924 02/23/2005 4:06 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
I had this mess before too, on a GM Saginaw box. I seem to remember adding extra balls, only to have them bind up and jam. Verify correct ball size and number, and go with that. Any extra space may be to prevent jamming up. Been too long, I don't really remember.
Not much of an answer, huh?.......... :confused:


John Kennedy
1950 Suburban street rod
Pics in the Gallery.......
new site up!
http://home.joimail.com/~kennedyjp/
#44925 02/23/2005 8:28 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
At first, I was gonna answer..."Two!". :p

No really, I'm getting the service manual for my truck as soon as the guy I bought it from sends it to me. If you don't have an answer by then, I'll try to look it up.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
#44926 02/28/2005 6:41 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 122
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 122
yeah, "two".

#44927 03/02/2005 6:28 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
i vote for 2. i do this to avoid ball bindup, which i hear is worse than the heartbreak of psoriasis. correct spacing is also important, as well as correct position. you should avoid getting your balls in a bind, and keep them well lubricated.

that said.

messing with a steering box without a good service manual is potential suicide. remember tolerances are crutial, and should you make a mistake, failure of the box could cause a horrendous accident.

please take your time, avoid experiments, and wait until one of these guys come up with the correct number of "bearings" and installation procedure. as i remember there are torque values which i would follow to the letter. there are also clearance issues that if not respected, will cause unexpected failure of the worm gear.

the old engineers were pretty smart, and in the case of something as critical as a steering box, their wisdom ought to be respected. if not, you could lose yer balls. eek

#44928 03/03/2005 3:11 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Koolcar,
are you saying that middle aged Engineers are not as smart? I used to enjoy your posts!! Only kidding, of course.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0