The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (walter74, Jay R, 52Carl, Wally / Montana, Hotrod Lincoln, 78buckshot), 122 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,417
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 53
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 53
Been trying to get Ernestine running. Unfortunately no luck so far. During all the cranking I have noticed that I have water leaking out the flywheel cover. Any ideas of what might be back there that would leak? Please, only easy fixes. I'm being a pessimist and thinking crack in the block. frown


53 Dumpy

1951 Chevy 3100 "Ernestine"
1970 Chevrolet C10 "Ol' Blue"
1940 JD "long-hood" B
1959 Jeep FC-170
1960 IH B275
2013 Chevy Silverado
2023 GMC Denali 2500HD
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Rusted out freeze-plug? (we hope)


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
There should be a drain hole in the bellhousing cover already, but they do tend to plug up with grease. You would be amazed at how much rainwater can collect in there.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 22
I
Junior Member
Junior Member
I Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 22
I just noticed the same thing on my 216, runs great but lately i have noticed rusty water under teh back of teh engine and the radiator is low, is this a cracked block?

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Quote
Originally posted by Itza46:
I just noticed the same thing on my 216, runs great but lately i have noticed rusty water under teh back of teh engine and the radiator is low, is this a cracked block?
Probably not. There is a freeze plug in the back up the block behind the bell housing. It's a bugger to change, though. You need to drop the tranny, remove the flywheel and bell housing to replace a fifty cent part.

I'd try a can of stop leak first, use the powdered aluminum or copper type.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 176
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 176
Quote
Originally posted by Fred T:
1. There is a freeze plug in the back up the block behind the bell housing. It's a bugger to change, though. You need to drop the tranny, remove the flywheel and bell housing to replace a fifty cent part.

2. I'd try a can of stop leak first.
1. I had one guy tell me to drill a hole through the firewall....

eek

2. Me too.


Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

- Jesus -
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Quote
I had one guy tell me to drill a hole through the firewall....
Now that's scary. Was he selling pencils out of a tin cup?


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 53
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 53
Sounds like I may have a rusted freeze plug. The flywheel cover is draining quite freely through the hole in the bottom. The only time it runs is after cranking the engine, so I don't think it's rainwater. Does the stop leak really work without causing any damage? I know we used to use it on our old tractor's back on the farm, but I was not concerned about long term effects. The stop leak sounds like the easy way out until I feel like pulling the tranny and flywheel to replace that 50 cent plug.


53 Dumpy

1951 Chevy 3100 "Ernestine"
1970 Chevrolet C10 "Ol' Blue"
1940 JD "long-hood" B
1959 Jeep FC-170
1960 IH B275
2013 Chevy Silverado
2023 GMC Denali 2500HD
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 176
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 176
Quote
Originally posted by 53 Dumpy:
Does the stop leak really work without causing any damage?
Depends....

Most mechanics I've ever talked to about it know rage against the stuff. They say it clogs up the radiator. However I have had some success with it in a variety of cars. I think the concern about clogging up the radiator is when the radiator is already pretty clogged up with rust anyway.

How's the rest of your cooling system?


Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

- Jesus -
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Quote
Does the stop leak really work without causing any damage?
That's why I recommend the powder, either aluminum or copper. If your radiator is clean you'll be okay using it. Don't use the "guaranteed to work" formulas, they will plug up a good radiator. I had it happen.

Now, for all the naysayers about stop leak, are you aware that the auto manufacturers put stop leak in every new car built?


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 68
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 68
Stay away from that stop leak crap. If you have a leak, probably that freeze plug, fix it. You will be better off than trying to get by with a band aid, when the thing could blow at any time and loose an engine. It's a lot of work, but you'll be better off.


'54 3100-235-T5 trans-12 bolt 3:31
'68 Impala 307/350
'78 Sportster/Original owner
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 139
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 139
Dumpy, Conklin Products of Shockopee, Mn. makes a stop leak called Dike. It will not clog up the radiator or heater core. It will stop leaks, really well. It will drain out of the system when you drain the coolant. I have used this product for over 20 years in everything from cars to 1710 CID V12 Cummins in dozers. Fixing the problem is the best solution, but we don't always have the option of downing a machine at a moments notice. conklin.com, I think. Mike

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 176
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 176
Quote
Originally posted by slomoe:
Dumpy, Conklin Products of Shockopee, Mn. makes a stop leak called Dike. It will not clog up the radiator or heater core. It will stop leaks, really well. It will drain out of the system when you drain the coolant. I have used this product for over 20 years in everything from cars to 1710 CID V12 Cummins in dozers. Fixing the problem is the best solution, but we don't always have the option of downing a machine at a moments notice. conklin.com, I think. Mike
Thanks. Never heard of that brand before.

Do you buy it at your local auto parts store?


Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

- Jesus -

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0