Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (BCBill, Gdads51, Lightholder's Dad, joe apple, Hawkman, greenie-reddy, TUTS 59),
190
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,176 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 | What does T.I.R. mean? These people are not allowed to answer.But can throw in hints.
J.H.Proffit Racecarl Phat Dennis Fred T Chevyman These guys know their tools and how to use them. Don King 1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck"The Flag Pole"In the Stovebolt Gallery1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most! | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 | If you get lost in Prague or Wasawa and want to get back to main road you follow a TIR signs.............even works in Istambul.......almost gave it away...........OK doesn't work as well in Hamburg!
How's that for a hint!!!
[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: J.H.Proffit ] | | |
#4458 01/18/2002 10:01 AM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Since I can't answer I'm gonna take my ball and go home! :p
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 90 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 90 | Total Indicator Reading Cheers | | |
#4460 01/18/2002 11:47 PM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 45 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 45 | | | |
#4461 01/18/2002 11:58 PM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 | Great! I new there were more machinist out there.
Don 1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck"The Flag Pole"In the Stovebolt Gallery1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 | Darn I thought it was Tucked In Rear
54 3100 with 235 62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 | Something to do with trucking in Europe, I think trucks that do international runs have those initials on the back of them. But what it actually stands for I am not sure. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 | Transports Internationaux Routiers That was too easy to figure out! | | |
#4465 01/19/2002 12:47 PM | Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 81 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 81 | T.I.R, total indicator runout. 
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.
1941 Pontiac business coupe 1947 Chev Coupe 1969 GTO ragtop
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 | WOW! I thought it means Take It Right
Different parts of the country take different.
Don 1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck"The Flag Pole"In the Stovebolt Gallery1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 | Dumbest post I've seen on here in awhile! :rolleyes: Don't you guys have something to do/break? :p
Feelin' Mean....next topic! :mad:
G.L. Grumpy's Old Iron Ranch Huntington, IN 46750
MM R tractor, Speedex and Power King tractors
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 72 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 72 | Is this Dennis or dabond. Just curious, as you have to define the language you are talking in. I have to daily go from DOS,Windows,UNIX,machine language,to Engineering stuff. You have to set the parameteres first. Just my $.02 worth. LOL Dennis | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 | GL If you think this is dumb you haven't been to the lounge lately
How is the Arch de Perry anyway?
Aren't you the guy that fixed youe truck with a toilet seal? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 | Prof, that's "melted" toilet seal! :mad: Just wax, darn it, and it worked great! :p Suppose now my credibility is down here?.... :mad: Your "startin' to P**s me off!"  :p :p :p
G.L. Grumpy's Old Iron Ranch Huntington, IN 46750
MM R tractor, Speedex and Power King tractors
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 | T. I. R. This is rediculous OR This is redundant OR Time in reverse OR anyother dang thing I want to say/think! :mad: I'm outta here.......need a break! 
G.L. Grumpy's Old Iron Ranch Huntington, IN 46750
MM R tractor, Speedex and Power King tractors
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 | Comeon!! 'ARCH DE PERRY' was a good one! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | Toilet Is Real
Thought It Ran
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 | Hey Boys and Girls, I was just woundering how many chip makers there are out there? Did't mean it to be a long thread. By the way,What is a chip breaker? 1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck"The Flag Pole"In the Stovebolt Gallery1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 327 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 327 | And they sucked you in on this, GL??? Get to work on my "Praire Dust" tractor or something. I think GL is just looking for something to "stomp in". Country boy caught up in the city.
Oly in Oregon Rest in Peace1945 GMC COE Victory Truck 1953 Willys CJ3B 1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton 1958 WIFE Last series Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 72 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 72 | Don't know if I'm allowed to post on this, but, always thought it was a flatlander picking up firewood. Dennis | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 | What is the Definion of a FLATLANDER?? I just like to ask questions.
Don King 1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck"The Flag Pole"In the Stovebolt Gallery1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most! | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 | A chipbreaker is the screwwdriver you use to get em outta your shoes | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 109 Member | | Member Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 109 | Tucson International Raceway 
John Kennedy 1950 Suburban street rod Pics in the Gallery....... new site up! http://home.joimail.com/~kennedyjp/
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 72 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 72 | Flatlander, one who lives on the plains where trees are scarce and used for shade. Dennis | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 | da...........I've lived ABOVE the tree line!!!!!! | | |
#4483 01/21/2002 10:53 AM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 95 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 95 | 2-Ton: How would you like your chipbreakers? Highspeed? Carbon Steel? Tungsten? Stellite? Sandvik? Carboloy? or maybe Valenite? Roughing? Facing? Turning or Boring? Left or Righthand, you did not say? Been at this 29 years. Mostly heavy industrial diesel, hydraulics, and automotive. With some general jobshop on/off in the mix. Started in early 70's apprenticed for 5 years. Learned all the "old school stuff", you know pouring babbitt, scraping bearings, lapping, shimming and the rest. Went to college at nights and took machine shop/advanced, automotive machining, welding and tool&cutter classes. Quit a year ago, and now doing my own thing. I have my own portable line boring set up, (kwikway). Also have Sioux valve grinder, kwikway seat grinder, and 2 Van Norman boring bars. My best friend owns a automotive parts and machine shop so I have all the work I can handle. What I do not have, he does like a Sunnen CK10 hone, and surfacer and stuff. I made up several different torque plates to fit some of the odd early stuff I may need. I work in my garage mostly, but sometimes in his shop, just depends whats going on. How about you, Jobshop or production? or What? FYI- Flatlander: a guy fron Kansas picking up poop/firewood!! (chipbreaker).....What do I win? Think Chevy! :rolleyes:  :p
Houston? , We have a problem!
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 | Chevyman You win win my respect as a well seasoned and expereanced machinist. Great looking resume! As for me,Went to a tech high school for machine shop,served a 4 year union apprinticeship in a heavy job shop.Liked the 6 inch bars the best.Anybody ever turn,bore,and face a 13 foot dia. gear.Did the job shop thing for 10+ years then got into maintenance machinist at a big punch press shop.The last 15 years I've been a{and get this title}Nuclear maintenance machinist mechanic.Replacing reactor coolant pump seals can be interesting.Yes,I wear yellow suits.
Don King 1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck"The Flag Pole"In the Stovebolt Gallery1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most! | | |
#4485 01/22/2002 12:26 AM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | 2-ton,,,,I`ll bet you have a GLOWING personality from working around those reactors! 
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Chevyman - Y'all got the definition of a flatlander down good. Only problem is them cowchips don't burn too good. Takes a heck of a pile of em to make a decent fire, and that won't last to long. And if y'all get one green one in the pile, it adds that extra flavor to your food, which I don't like! I've got a lot of respect for machinists, I've spent the last 20 years designing parts for them to make. For one fitting we started with a half ton of stainless, and after 100 hours on a Viking we had a 170 pound part. 
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 | Fred T your post sounds like your an engineer.
I bet you also know how to type and spell. Wish,I would have payed more attention in tech school!
Don King 1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck"The Flag Pole"In the Stovebolt Gallery1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most! | | |
| |