The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4456 01/18/2002 4:34 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
What does T.I.R. mean?
These people are not allowed to answer.But can
throw in hints.

J.H.Proffit
Racecarl
Phat
Dennis
Fred T
Chevyman

These guys know their tools and how to use
them.

Don King


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
#4457 01/18/2002 4:55 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
If you get lost in Prague or Wasawa and want to get back to main road you follow a TIR signs.............even works in Istambul.......almost gave it away...........OK doesn't work as well in Hamburg!

How's that for a hint!!!

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: J.H.Proffit ]

#4458 01/18/2002 10:01 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Since I can't answer I'm gonna take my ball and go home! :p


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#4459 01/18/2002 2:03 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 90
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 90
Total Indicator Reading
Cheers

#4460 01/18/2002 11:47 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 45
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 45
total indicated runout

#4461 01/18/2002 11:58 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
Great! I new there were more machinist out
there.

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
#4462 01/19/2002 1:43 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
Darn I thought it was
Tucked
In
Rear


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#4463 01/19/2002 5:09 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
Something to do with trucking in Europe, I think trucks that do international runs have those initials on the back of them. But what it actually stands for I am not sure.

#4464 01/19/2002 5:15 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
Transports Internationaux Routiers
That was too easy to figure out!

#4465 01/19/2002 12:47 PM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 81
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 81
T.I.R, total indicator runout. grin


If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.


1941 Pontiac business coupe
1947 Chev Coupe
1969 GTO ragtop
#4466 01/19/2002 1:26 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Traumatic Incident Reduction

http://www.healing-arts.org/tir/gallery.htm

Tim

#4467 01/20/2002 2:45 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
WOW!
I thought it means

Take It Right

Different parts of the country take
different.

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
#4468 01/20/2002 4:52 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
Dumbest post I've seen on here in awhile! :rolleyes: Don't you guys have something to do/break? :p

Feelin' Mean....next topic! :mad:


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
#4469 01/20/2002 6:28 AM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 72
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 72
Is this Dennis or dabond. Just curious, as you have to define the language you are talking in. I have to daily go from DOS,Windows,UNIX,machine language,to Engineering stuff. You have to set the parameteres first. Just my $.02 worth. LOL
Dennis

#4470 01/20/2002 7:11 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
GL If you think this is dumb you haven't been to the lounge lately

How is the Arch de Perry anyway?

Aren't you the guy that fixed youe truck with a toilet seal?

#4471 01/20/2002 7:51 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
Prof, that's "melted" toilet seal! :mad: Just wax, darn it, and it worked great! :p Suppose now my credibility is down here?.... :mad: Your "startin' to P**s me off!" grin :p :p :p


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
#4472 01/20/2002 7:54 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
T. I. R. This is rediculous
OR
This is redundant
OR
Time in reverse
OR
anyother dang thing I want to say/think! :mad:

I'm outta here.......need a break! eek


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
#4473 01/20/2002 9:02 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
Comeon!! 'ARCH DE PERRY' was a good one!

#4474 01/20/2002 9:20 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Toilet Is Real


Thought It Ran


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#4475 01/21/2002 2:51 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
Hey
Boys and Girls, I was just woundering how
many chip makers there are out there?
Did't mean it to be a long thread.
By the way,What is a chip breaker?


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
#4476 01/21/2002 2:59 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
O
Oly Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
And they sucked you in on this, GL??? Get to work on my "Praire Dust" tractor or something. I think GL is just looking for something to "stomp in". Country boy caught up in the city.


Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
#4477 01/21/2002 3:06 AM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 72
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 72
Don't know if I'm allowed to post on this, but, always thought it was a flatlander picking up firewood.
Dennis

#4478 01/21/2002 3:35 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
What is the Definion of a FLATLANDER??
I just like to ask questions.

Don King


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
#4479 01/21/2002 4:31 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
A chipbreaker is the screwwdriver you use to get em outta your shoes

#4480 01/21/2002 5:08 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
Tucson
International
Raceway

grin


John Kennedy
1950 Suburban street rod
Pics in the Gallery.......
new site up!
http://home.joimail.com/~kennedyjp/
#4481 01/21/2002 5:33 AM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 72
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 72
Flatlander, one who lives on the plains where trees are scarce and used for shade.
Dennis

#4482 01/21/2002 7:36 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
da...........I've lived ABOVE the tree line!!!!!!

#4483 01/21/2002 10:53 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 95
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 95
2-Ton: How would you like your chipbreakers? Highspeed? Carbon Steel? Tungsten? Stellite? Sandvik? Carboloy? or maybe Valenite? Roughing? Facing? Turning or Boring? Left or Righthand, you did not say? Been at this 29 years. Mostly heavy industrial diesel, hydraulics, and automotive. With some general jobshop on/off in the mix. Started in early 70's apprenticed for 5 years. Learned all the "old school stuff", you know pouring babbitt, scraping bearings, lapping, shimming and the rest. Went to college at nights and took machine shop/advanced, automotive machining, welding and tool&cutter classes. Quit a year ago, and now doing my own thing. I have my own portable line boring set up, (kwikway). Also have Sioux valve grinder, kwikway seat grinder, and 2 Van Norman boring bars. My best friend owns a automotive parts and machine shop so I have all the work I can handle. What I do not have, he does like a Sunnen CK10 hone, and surfacer and stuff. I made up several different torque plates to fit some of the odd early stuff I may need. I work in my garage mostly, but sometimes in his shop, just depends whats going on.

How about you, Jobshop or production? or What?

FYI- Flatlander: a guy fron Kansas picking up poop/firewood!! (chipbreaker).....What do I win?

Think Chevy! :rolleyes: grin wink smile :p


Houston? , We have a problem!
#4484 01/21/2002 1:47 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
Chevyman
You win win my respect as a well seasoned
and expereanced machinist.
Great looking resume!
As for me,Went to a tech high school for machine shop,served a 4 year union apprinticeship in a heavy job shop.Liked the 6 inch bars the best.Anybody ever turn,bore,and face a 13 foot dia. gear.Did the job shop thing for 10+ years then got into maintenance machinist at a big
punch press shop.The last 15 years I've been
a{and get this title}Nuclear maintenance
machinist mechanic.Replacing reactor coolant pump seals can be interesting.Yes,I wear yellow suits.

Don King


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
#4485 01/22/2002 12:26 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
2-ton,,,,I`ll bet you have a GLOWING personality from working around those reactors! grin


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#4486 01/22/2002 1:48 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Chevyman - Y'all got the definition of a flatlander down good. Only problem is them cowchips don't burn too good. Takes a heck of a pile of em to make a decent fire, and that won't last to long. And if y'all get one green one in the pile, it adds that extra flavor to your food, which I don't like! frown

I've got a lot of respect for machinists, I've spent the last 20 years designing parts for them to make. For one fitting we started with a half ton of stainless, and after 100 hours on a Viking we had a 170 pound part. eek


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#4487 01/22/2002 2:57 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,598
Fred T
your post sounds like your an engineer.

I bet you also know how to type and spell.
Wish,I would have payed more attention in
tech school!

Don King


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0