There was a dealer-installed power steering kit available for the '55-56 model passenger cars, and maybe later ones as well. This kit provided a power cylinder that attached to the steering linkage and gave assist that way. If you can find a mid-fifties passenger car with that 'external' power cylinder, along with the pump, control valve and brackets, maybe that will help you. At best, that setup was only a moderately useable substitute for the integrated Saginaw power steering gear (the really good one), but it worked. I think the '58 passenger cars went to the itegrated gear. If you really want power steering, look for a '59-60 passenger car with the integrated steering gear and change the steering column and probably all the steering linkages- I think most of them are different between manual and power streering.
Maybe someone else can give better insight on your question, but I would be inclined to leave things as they are.
Harvester