The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Guitplayer, Hotrod Lincoln, Bill Hanlon, Gdads51), 125 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,271
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#444408 08/22/2008 3:36 AM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 5
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 5
I am in the begining stages of restoring my 55 one ton. The toe boards are rusted pretty bad. Is it better to cut these out with a zip saw or a cutting torch? I am fairly new to body restoration so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Chuck


Schweikerts Last Stand
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
It is tempting to use a torch, but I went through that many years ago. Something always warps and a mess is created. A sawzall , angle grinder and die grinder do a much better job. I use a die grinder to find how far the rot goes and where I have good metal to weld to.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
I bought a nibbler but ended up using a 4" side grinder with a cutting wheel for most of my cutting. It's also handy to have snips, cold chisel, and other metal cutting tools handy to get into corners and inconvenient places.


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0