The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jon G, Otto Skorzeny, Hanks custodian, dt235sd, 3800GUY), 166 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,205
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44084 01/29/2002 6:34 AM
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
I was feeling pretty abitious tonight. The oil pan that came with my 261 was crushed so I dug out a pan off an old 235 I had sitting around. The 261 has an oil pickup tube similar to a small block, so the baffles in the 235 pan would not clear. No problem, I reconstructed the baffles and brazed them inside the pan. I set the pan on the engine when I noticed the bolts on the left side of the block didn't line up with the holes in the pan. OOOPS!!!

Now, the $20 question--my 261 is a 58-61 according to the casting number. The 235 I got the pan from I think was a 54 or 55. Would a pan from a later 235 fit? The 261 has a jog in the block where the 235 pan is straight down both sides. I sure wish I had not scrapped the original pan from the 261 now frown


Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck
#44085 01/29/2002 12:05 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
I have a 59 261 , the oil pan is off a 56 car 235.Fit on no problem. I also used the oil pick up tube off the car engine.The 62 261 engine has a weighted swinging oil pick up.The original pan on that engine looked the same as the other 261 .Must be an early engine difference.

#44086 01/29/2002 3:43 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
The '53-54 235 1'st series oil pan flange is straight all the way back, like the older engines. The 55-62 235/261 2nd series pans have that "dogleg" in the pan flange toward the back of the engine. The block is the same way. No idea why...

chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
#44087 01/31/2002 5:35 AM
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
I do have another pan I can use--it is attached to the 'running' engine I have in my 51. I'll check around at the local wrecking yards--I might come up with one without tearing apart the 51. Gotta get the tractors fixed so I'll have money and room to work on trucks and pickups...

Thanks for the pointers, guys!


Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0