The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (SNOYL, Hotrod Lincoln, MNSmith), 81 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
59 1/2 Ton Stock new harness with ballast resistor out of the picture and a new Mini HEI with external round coil. Not running yet as I am finishing wiring.

In checking the new harness, I had no head lights etc so I realized that I had not affixed the wire from the headlight switch up to the ammeter. I looked up under the dash and saw it was off. I pulled the gauge assembly to hook it and the instrument bulbs etc into the gauge panel. My instruction sheet says the red wire goes headlight switch to C side of ammeter gauge and the black wire( direct from top of starter) to the D side of the ammeter gauge. Hooked up battery with no issues and BINGO I checked headlights and I was good.

Disconnected battery and Reinstalled gauge panel and when I touched battery cable to post...SPARK short.... I pulled the black wire from ammeter and I can hook cable up. Foot stomp circuit still good.

Did I cook the gauge or somehow create a dead short in it? I rechecked to determine that I had red on one terminal side of gauge and black on the other.

Ralph

Last edited by rasman57; 08/10/2008 9:08 PM.

~ Rasman
1971 Chevy C10
"Old Yeller"
Saga: "'Old Yeller' ... More than a Pristine 1971 Chevy"
1959 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Legacy Gallery

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
An ammeter passes current through it. It is not grounded. It is highly unlikely to be shorted internally. Your short must be in the circuit the black wire goes to. Touch the black wire momentarily to the red. If it sparks the short is in the circuit. Do not hook up to the ammeter till you solve the problem. That much current can fry it.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
Wow, As I started to sort this out I discovered the horn relay was the culprit. It was VERY hot and somehow had failed. It will be replaced after I check to see if it was wired in correct.


~ Rasman
1971 Chevy C10
"Old Yeller"
Saga: "'Old Yeller' ... More than a Pristine 1971 Chevy"
1959 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Legacy Gallery

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Be sure to check the wire that snakes up the steering column to the horn button. The horn relay is only a dumb slave...it closes when commanded to do so by grounding the column wire through the horn button itself.

Your horn probably doesn't 'toot' either, other wise you would have heard it, right!

Stuart

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
You are right about the horn. I do not have the wheel on but I am gonna check to see if I mashed the wire and caused some issue.


~ Rasman
1971 Chevy C10
"Old Yeller"
Saga: "'Old Yeller' ... More than a Pristine 1971 Chevy"
1959 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Legacy Gallery


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0