The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shaffer's1950, John Dlugos, Paul Mullen), 68 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,077
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#439582 08/07/2008 9:45 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 18
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 18
Is there any other way to ID a 235 other than the block number?
Next to the distributor is 052T397F54M. This has to be a rebuild number. It goes in a 1954 model 3100 with a hydra-matic, so I assume that it is a 54 block because of 54 in the engine number.
I am trying to check into carbs and all the info I can get will help. The exhaust manifold has a heat riser but the carb is a Rochester B with the manual choke. How many companies rebuild these engines, I may try and contact one for a record of the rebuild.

Thank You

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
brownie1,

There is a block casting number to the right of the starter (most likely: 3701481, 3702436, 3835911). There is also a head casting number on the distributor side but it is not uncommon for a different head to have been used over the years of service.

Several people on this site have a 1954 1/2 ton with a Hydra-Matic engine. F54M indicates 1954 3100 series (1/2 ton) with a Hydra-Matic transmission. Why do you think that engine serial number has to be a rebuild number?

I bought a 1954 Rochester carb for an 1954 automobile from Auto Zone for under $70 (for my '54 Hydra-Matic). It had the automatic choke set-up to work with the a tube from the choke mechanism to the heat stove on the exhaust manifold. Do you need the tube?

As far as rebuilding the engine, this engine is not really any different for other 1954 235 truck engines. Some people think that checking for a local rebuilder is a good idea. That sounds good, but I would ask how long ago they last worked on a high-pressure 235 and from whom would they be getting their parts. Also, ask them if they have a Shop Manual; if they say they do not need one, I'd be wary. You should buy a 1954 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual, if you do not already have one.

If you want a deluxe rebuild and money is not much of an object, Jasper Engine & Transmission has an excellent reputation.

Good luck,
Tim

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The codes come up as correct for a '54 w/Hydramatic. You could also get the casting number from the block and chack it against the Inliners casting number list. But according to the serial number, it is correct for your truck.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 18
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 18
Thank you! The reason I thought it might be a remanufactured engine is because I have not found any numbers on any other engines simular to this particular one. It will be fun trying to untangle something someone else has done.
Thank You

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 18
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 18
I'll check on a carb. from AutoZone and if I get one with an automatic choke I will need the heat tube. I'll let you know and I appreciate your help.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
TIM TYGART'S OBSOLETE CHEVROLET PARTS: 29-54 CHEVROLET CAR (800) 248-8785 - call him.

This tube should also work on a 1954 Chevrolet Truck with automatic choke on a Hydra-Matic truck.
choke tube Part # CFE5304SS or CFE5304

AutoZone has raised the price of the carburetor to over $150 (Holley remanufactured carburetor - 64-7074)


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0