Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
171
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,143 Posts1,056,494 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | anyone running a manual rack on an S-10 based frame swap, or even M2 X-member? how is it in traffic? Keep in mind, I will be running standard S-10 sized steering wheel as the original large wheel and shaft are gone.
I need a short rack for Frankentruck and I can find manual M2 clones for a good price. This would fit well with my diesel as I would not need to add a hydro-pump.
Scott
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Friend of mine has a stock S10 with manual steering, looks to me like it gives him a pretty good workout....
What engine do you have, and will it equal more front end weight than the stock V6 in an S10? If so then I would suggest at least use the original large steering wheel and column (even if you have to find one), or go for the PS gear box.
As a benefit of having PS you can run a hydrobooster and have really good brakes too.
What engine do you have again?
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | I have a low mileage S-10 frame with a good stock PS gear box, however the stock steering gear does not fit with the Rad and CAC that I am using with my 3.3 liter diesel - the #$%#$%#@$ frame is too narrow for the rad and gear box.
So long and short, I will need to fit a power rack below the front engine crank pulley (where the current center link is). Now to find a short power rack.
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Your wheel and tire choices affect the need for power steering too. Wide tires, or wheels that offset the center line of the tire from the center of the ball joints can increase the power needed to turn the wheel.
Another issue is the condition of your back and shoulders. After an injury a few years ago I have some problems in those areas. I can drive a manual steering truck, but can't do it on a daily basis without suffering. So power steering is a must on anything I expect to drive a lot.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | I went a different route than you are talking about.I used the TCI M2 setup with power R&P steering.For what its worth I would reccomend going with power steering to anyone.I realize that the old trucks did not have it,but man,what a difference it makes.To me it feels super nice driving on the fastlane on the freeway,with an old truck that runs and handles like a new one. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | Thanks Steve and Dale. The frame on Frankentruck is an S-10 unit. So yes, I will be increasing the scrub radius with either spacers or wheel offset to get the front to look right. Scott
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | Anyone with a Mustang Rack, can you measure the inner joint to inner joint lenght? The Camaro Rack that I have for the '48 is a bit too long.
Scott
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | BTTT - Anyone with a Chevette? Rumor is a Chevette PS R&P unit will fit an S-10 geometry and keep the ackerman steering near perfect. I need to get a Chevette rack measurement to verify.
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | |
| |