The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (1946chevytruck, Shaffer's1950, 55shaker, 37 GC, Gray_Ghost, Wheelie), 117 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
GMC 302 motor. Mechanical advance. 2 bbl carb (Holley I think)

I've read a few posts that suggest setting timing with a vacuum guage so that you have the highest vacuum at the highest RPM. I tried this today. The RPM and vacuum (18 lbs) stayed the same over probably an inch of movement of the distributor. After the initial setting it pinged so I turned the distributor clockwise until it stopped. It took about four tries and I probably rotated it 1/2 inch.

Am I doing this right? I don't see how you can set the timing with a vacuum guage when the vacuum and RPM stay the same over probably 20 degrees of rotation of the distributor.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 70
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 70
You set mixture with a vacum gauge at idle I have never heard or done it the way you are taking about, I always set timing on my own stuff like you did back off till it stoppes pinging

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I didn't mean to imply that this test was done at high RPM; only that the vacuum and idle RPM both were supposedly highest when the timing was correctly set.

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 56
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 56
Izz,

Warren is right, you set idle mixture with a vacumn gage, not timing. Do the timing first, then the mixture with a warm engine.


'31 Chevy 1 1/2 ton,
'42 GMC 2 1/2 ton 6x4,
'52 GMC 2 1/2 ton 6x6,
'53 GMC 5 ton
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I actually had pretty good results setting the timing with a vacuum gauge. I'll admit that the initial timing with the vacuum gauge was far from precise, but in the process I did learn how to time it by ear by retarding until it stopped pinging. I also noticed a significant increase in power from where it was previously set.

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 7
H
hvp Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 7
It is OK to adjuat timing with a vacuum gauge.

Here are a couple of links.

http://automotivemileposts.com/garage/v2n8.html
How, and why, to adjust timing with vacuum gauge.

http://www.iwemalpg.com/Vacuum_gauge.htm
Reading a gauge to determine problem

Hugh


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0