Your request for information on the 49 Suburban refers to several points, I will try to address the point about worth.
This is an often asked question and I tried a couple of time to answer it in the truck forums, but the moderators moved it to greasy spoon where it died. I used ebay and craigslist as a guide with actual ads and pictures. Maybe one day I will write Tech tip with the aid of other s and try to answer it in a more complete way. Until then, this is what I have.
One of the guides that I encourage people to use when looking for a value on a truck or suburban is the postings that I find on craigslist. You can compare prices that you find here and on the other sites. There are many venues out there that can be helpful on determining value on our old vehicles, ebay, Hemmings, Old Car Guide, several classic car and truck sites and craigslist. It takes a lot of research to come to a realistic value, or you can just go by what you want to pay for it.
The problem with craigslist is that it has to be searched manually city by city state by state. I use other methods and post these lists so that they are convenient to read and cover all states and canada.
There is no one source for determining value, other than a professional appraiser, but they don't do projects. And the asking price and the sold price are two different elephants. Many of the ads that I view stay active for several weeks or are re-posted several times, so to base a value on what others are trying to sell theirs for can be risky too.
I have seen the ad with the Suburban and by the pictures and the description, and in my opinion, it's priced too high. But then you have to take into account where you live and where the suburban is located. If this truck was on the mainland it would costs you more than a thousand to ship. If this is located within driving distance this is an added value.
But from what I have seen, you will need to spend several thousand to make it worth several thousand. It is a big project and will need lots of parts to make it complete.
"COOL! Street Rod project. 49 Suburban Type Body already mounted on to a shortened 84 Suburban frame and running gear. Chevy 350 and 700R4 transmission in place. Body is solid. Most of the floor is already in place and the front floor panels are already purchased. I have two types of rear doors. Clam shell or barn door. Spare fenders and other parts go with it. Complete seven passenger leather seats (tan)come with it too! All other parts are readily available. No place to work!
Trades welcome - 'K-Cub' Mini truck - Rhino type 4 wheeler, etc. " My basic guide is when they are in not running condition and incomplete, they are parts trucks, so how much are the parts worth? Check out the list that I have included and see that for a few thousand more you can have a decent driver (oops, as I was writing this post, one nice suburban was deleted. The asking price was $5500) I have been updating this often and they come up often. So unless you really want a project or you are trying to find out what the lowest price to offer, I would wait this one out.
CRAIGSLIST SUBURBAN/PANEL FINDS