The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Naturalthud, Deegs53, CuzzFuzz, 1 invisible), 92 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,466
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43340 05/23/2004 3:39 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
Wally Montana, I was directed to your posting to answer my question about rims and tires (couldn't locate your email to contact you direct).

My 1951 Model 3800 1-ton dually is stuck in my garage on jack stands and no wheels. While rebuilding the brakes I went ahead and had the 18" split rims broke down and I dumped the old worn out tires. Little did I know I wouldn't be able to find new tires (traction type tread).

At this point I am willing to replace the split rims with 16" (one piece) or whatever it takes to get some good traction tires and keep the dually set-up. But it looks like its going to be a trial by error experience in bringing the rims and tires home to see if they are going to fit.

Can you tell me where you got your 16" rims as discussed in your post from Jan 2003. (FYI, I'm in Montana too, northwest corner -- Eureka).

Thanks.


BLUE
1951 CHEVY 1-TON
MODEL 3800
http://geocities.com/gocountry99/
#43341 05/25/2004 2:43 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
ok, here is the poop.

These fit my 49 3/4 ton chevy like a glove. I don't know if they will clear the drums on the rear of your 1 ton. I bought the rims a local trailer shop, Croft Trailer Supply in KCMO
http://www.equipmentrental.com/

Croft trailer part # 8166

They are made by Dexter Axel in IN
http://www.dexteraxle.com/home

Dexter part # 017-153
16x6 capacity 3750#

They quoted me $48 ea. I paid $42 ea for 4.

They clear the tie rod ends and will look just like stock when I install the clips. Next week I'll get one of those photo sites so I can post some pics.
Dave

#43342 05/25/2004 3:30 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
BLUE, Is this the post you found?

My 16 inch rims.

They had them in stock years ago at TireRama in Missoula. I went back to enquire about them and they said they could order them. I think any good tire shop could get them.

I hope they still work after I replace my tie rod ends!

Eureka is in nice country! I bought my '48 from a guy in Heron in 1992.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
#43343 05/26/2004 2:16 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
dave and wally -- thanks for the info guys.

I will research it more and see what works for me. One thing I am faced with is a dually set-up on the rear.

Yesterday I researched some 17.5 inch tires (traction tread design) and the lowest price I could find was $191 -- way high when you need 4 on the rear and 2 on the front -- and still have to buy the rims (these were steel belted radials because they don't make bias in 17.5 with a traction tread, according to my source).

I like the idea of going for 16" wheels as Wally Montana did, but the clearence on the tie rod scares me at 1/8 inch. But maybe the tires would be a lot less money (more choices to pick from) compared with the 17.5" selection.

I am now weighing the options of spending over $1500 on tires and 17.5" wheels -- with idea of using my old split rims, buying the $92 highway tires, cutting a semi-traction tread design on the new rear tires -- and maybe someday getting them recapped with a traction tread.

thanks again for the ideas and info.


BLUE
1951 CHEVY 1-TON
MODEL 3800
http://geocities.com/gocountry99/
#43344 05/26/2004 2:29 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Blue, here's one thing you'll need to consider- - - -The 16" wheels won't clear the brake drums on the rear, because of the diameter of the drums. There's just not enough room to fit the inner wheel over the rear drums with 16" wheels. I encountered this problem when trying to convert to 16" on my 59 model 3800. I had to park the truck for other problems before I got the wheel problem solved, and it's been sitting for at least 15 years now! You might consider retro-fitting to a smaller diameter, more modern brake system, which is what I had in mind before the old truck bit the dust! The brakes weren't the best, and repair parts were getting scarce, even several years ago. Other than steering clearance, the front wheels should fit OK, but the rear is a different story!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#43345 05/27/2004 5:20 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
Jerry, thanks for the tip on the 16" rear rims - I had not heard of that problem. I'll steer clear of the 16s for sure.

As far as the brakes go, I am already into it with a $279 rebuild on my Hydra-Vac power brake assist - plus new shoes and rebuild kits.

Hope to hear you get your 3800 running again!


BLUE
1951 CHEVY 1-TON
MODEL 3800
http://geocities.com/gocountry99/
#43346 05/28/2004 4:30 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Not likely! That one's becoming a parts truck for a restoration on a 59 Carryall. I'm going to use the hood, front fenders, etc., with a fender trim change to make the 3800 fenders say "31". The cab on the 38 is too far gone to repair, door hinge pillars rusted away for one thing. I'm parting it out, so let me know if you need anything on your job. I believe a lot of stuff will interchange.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#43347 05/30/2004 2:11 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
Jerry, that raises another quesiton I had: Does the 3800 1-ton have oversized front fenders? Sounds like your's does but maybe its not a 1-ton?? Someone pointed out to me that the oversized fenders began with the 1.5 ton. (I don't have anything to compare mine to right now, but they look pretty large on my 1-ton - that's another reason I was hoping to keep the larger rims and tires (for looks).

Good luck on the coversion and thanks for the offer on parts -- will keep it in mind all right!

Randy


BLUE
1951 CHEVY 1-TON
MODEL 3800
http://geocities.com/gocountry99/
#43348 05/30/2004 5:01 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
The 3800 was the largest truck to use the pickup-sized front end, at least in the 59 model like I have. I've got a 59 Carryall that's going to be getting most of the 3800 front sheet metal, and I made a good deal on the swap shop for the correct fender trim, so I won't have a "38" Carryall! This one's a long-term project. I'm installing 3/4 ton independent front suspension, as I've already got a Dana type 60 3/4 ton rear axle in it. Thgen it gets a Cadillac 500 engine and a turbo 400 transmission to conplete the running gear. The other project that's in line is a 72 model 1/2 ton, fleetside long-bed, that belonged to my late father-in-law. It's going to get a full restoration back to original condition.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0