The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (Phak1, klhansen, 3800GUY, Still At It, Gdads51, Bill Hanlon, 53&Me, 3 invisible), 90 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,137
Posts1,056,437
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 54
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 54
Engine was smoking a little after reinstalling the head in the 235. We adjusted the valves as per the shop manual, assuming we had solid lifters. Smoke cleared up and the engine was running fine. We since discovered that we have hydraulic lifters, and that two of the retaining clips had popped of the top of the lifters, probably after initial startup, since this truck had been sitting for 8 1/2 years in a field. We pulled all the lifters, thoroughly cleaned them, soaked them in oil and pumped them up and reinstalled. We then did a cold and then hot valve adjustment turning them down until the clicking stopped and then an additional 1/2 turn. Now the smoke has returned. Not so much on startup, but once warmed up it smokes (blue smoke) quite a bit on acceleration with the smoke lightening up on deceleration. Except for the smoke, the engine runs and idles very well. I'm hoping it's not rings, and that maybe we just adjusted too tightly. I really would appreciate any input. Thanks!


Not quite as lean
Not quite as mean, but
Still a Marine!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Your smoke will have nothing to do with the valve adjustment. If it sat that long, there is a possibiltiy of a stuck ring or they could just be worn out. You could try some special additive, some people have a lot of faith in synthetic, to accomplish a miracle. I would imagine the others will have some suggestions.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Try reseating the rings and see if it helps. High gear, up and down hard on the throttle a few times from about 20 to 40 mph. Usually, if a ring isn't seated, the hard vacuum/compression changes will work it in.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 113
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 113
My 54 235 was doing the same thing, but I had 12 lbs compression in number one and 85 in number two. The rest were 115-120. I had the head rebuilt, checked the cylinder walls, push rods, rocker arms, lifters and cam. All were good, so I'm hoping I had a head problem or sticky rings. Is it unusual for only two cylinders to have sticky rings???


Bruce (I love My Truck) Miller

1954 5 Window 3100 Chevy Pickup - Driver
1929 **** Model A Pickup - Restoration
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Quote
Originally posted by 50-four-Bruce:
Is it unusual for only two cylinders to have sticky rings???
Not if the engine has been sitting for quite a while. Usually the result of just enough moisture to cause some rust.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
My truck and it's 216 had been sitting outside for more than 10 years, undisturbed. After test running it, I took it apart. It had had a rebuild and not too many miles had been put on it. One of the pistons had a stuck oil ring assmbly that took a lot of force with the needle nose pliers, to get apart. The other pistons were OK. That one set of rings made it smoke badly.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 54
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 54
What I didn't mention initially is that the old exhaust system was almost completely gone and we just put a new muffler on--------perhaps this created more pressure because we immediately noticed more smoke. I'm just wondering how long I should drive it in hopes of unsticking the rings, or if I should just bite the bullet and tear the engine down again.


Not quite as lean
Not quite as mean, but
Still a Marine!
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
If your rings are going to seat, they will do it in a few blocks. I usually go down a mile of country road. If there is still smoke after that, you're in need of engine work. frown


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0