The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (NAPCOStormTrpr, 1955 1 Series, joe apple, klhansen, GRNHydra, DBJ71SuperCustom, dt235sd, Opelika Tom), 84 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
Can someone tell me the size of the battery they are using in their 1940 - 1946 truck?

There have been lots of discussions on Optima batterys versus other brands, but I was haven't seen anything on the size.


Bill Schickling

1940 1/2 ton, 1940 3/4 ton
My web page
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Bill,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'size'. I have enclosed a link showing most automotive batteries (not Optima) by group number, which is the physical size of the battery itself.

The 'electrical' size would be its CCA (among others), or cold cranking amps, which would give you a clue to its oink and sustainability.

If you are limited on physical space, you might be limited on battery selection too.

http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html

Stuart

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
Stuart,

Thanks. I guess I meant the group number. Can I assume a group 24 battery is the same size regardless of manufacturer?


Bill Schickling

1940 1/2 ton, 1940 3/4 ton
My web page
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Hot Rod Lincoln warned us about assuming, but my guess is that the group number is universal worldwide...a group 24 is the same in B.F. Egypt as it is in Nashville, TN.

Stuart

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Your vehicle probably came with a group 1 6 volt. BCI group size is the standard of battery measurements http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
From the sizes in crenweige's links, it look like 6v group one (1) would match up closest with dimensions of 12v group 22F, 22HF, and 22NF. Your battery compartment should have space for a taller (height) battery, so 22HF might fit (check your space in the battery tray).

Group Maximum Overall Dimensions in inches
Number

6 volt Length, Width, Height
1 9 1/8, 7 1/8, 9 3/8

12 volt Length, Width, Height
22F 9 1/2, 6 7/8, 8 5/16
22HF 9 1/2, 6 7/8, 9
22NF 9 7/16, 5 1/2, 8 15/16

Available Optima sizes are even longer than the above. Their 6v is able to fit the space if it is placed on a diagonal in the battery tray/box (it is longer than group 1 but only about 1/2 as wide). An Optima 12v might not be available for your space.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
I dragged my sorry butt out to the truck and measured.

It looks like you are right about the group 1 6 volt.

I measured L:9 1/8, W:7 1/2, H:9 3/4

The length is going to be the determining measurement. I think it is plenty wide and plenty deep in the battery box, but 9 1/8 is really all I have. Maybe a group 25 or 35 would be better.

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I know where to go from here.


Bill Schickling

1940 1/2 ton, 1940 3/4 ton
My web page

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0