Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,277 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 7 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 7 | I'm considering swapping/upgrading to a 58 235. I currently run a 54 235 in my 51 3100. What if any modifications/additions do I need to make to complete this swap? I have an Offy 2-1bbl intake manifold and Fenton headers...will they fit the 58? Are there any water pump or oil filter issues? thanks steve G. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Manifolds should fit. Water pump - You'll need the short shaft pump, available from the vendors. Oil filter - If you have the engine apart adapt it for a full flow oil filter, in the tech tips page.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 7 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 7 | Doesn't the 54 have the short shaft water pump? | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | The '54 235 is a better choice for the AD trucks because it uses the same waterpump as the 216. It will bolt in with no modifications. If ya use the '58 block you will need to use the short shaft water pump but the accessories from your '54 engine will work on the '58 no problem. Any of the oil filters that mount on the intake manifold from that era will work on both engines. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 | Hey MT, do you know if all 54 235's (or 261's) have shimmed main bearings? | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Thanks for the free advertising in your signature Tony. The 53 & 54 235's were transition year motors. As far as a rule to All of them , I am not sure. I have seen some 53 235's with insert main bearings & dippers,& I have seen some with inserts & full pressure. Every one I have pulled apart so far has had the shims. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 | All '53-'54 235 full-pressure sedan motors used main inserts with shims to set the clearance. I assume the '53-54 trucks are the same.
The '54 water pump will not fit the '58 block, so you've got to get the custom short-shaft. You will also need a '55-62 fan or an electric unit.
The motor mounts on the side of the engine blocks are different. I think your truck's '54 engine is held in with the front timing plate mount. If the timing plate is different on the '58, just use the '54 timing plate and cover.
Good luck chip
Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:
Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Tony - My 54 235 came out of a car and was one of the late models with the large cam bearing journals. It also used shims on the mains.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 68 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 68 | I just put a '58 235 in my '54. You will need the short shaft water pump conversion, like everyone here has stated. The stock water pump shaft is too long and it will hit the radiator. The price varies from vendor to vendor, so do some checking. I saw them from $79 to $140.
'54 3100-235-T5 trans-12 bolt 3:31 '68 Impala 307/350 '78 Sportster/Original owner
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 7 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 7 | I've also heard that I'll need a fan from a 55-61 235(flatter profile?). Is that true? How about the flywheel; any problems there? thanks Steve G. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 | Yup, you'll need the later fan, then tweak the blades to clear the balancer and radiator.
You running 6v or 12V? The '54 starter was originally 6v. The '58 starter will be 12V. Use the '54 starter and flywheel if you've got 6v. Use the '58 parts if you've got 12V.
Keep in mind you can't mix '54 starters or '54 ring gears with later ('55-'62) year starter or ring gears. This is cuz chevy changed the number of starter pinion and ring gear teeth when they went to 12 volts in '55.
I'm doing a similar swap. I'm building a '60 235 to go into a '54 Bel-Air. I'm running 12 volts. I'm going to use the SS water pump with an electric pusher fan, the '60 starter, and the '54 flywheel with a new '60 ring gear swapped on. Its going to use a shaved '54 head w/dual valvesprings, Clifford 4bbl intake, HEI, M4F cam and Fentons.
good luck chip
Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:
Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 14 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 14 | Keep in mind you can't mix '54 starters or '54 ring gears with later ('55-'62) year starter or ring gears. This is cuz chevy changed the number of starter pinion and ring gear teeth when they went to 12 volts in '55. Couldn't you just change the starter drive instead of replacing the starter or flywheel?
Barrett Revis '53 3105 '48 3105 The fewer the moving parts, the less there is to go wrong... | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 | Good question. I once tried this, and it won't work. The starter drive from a 12 volt starter won't fit on a 6v armature and vice versa.
The footmash 6v starters work fine on 12 volts, but the 6v solenoid starters (sedans) don't like 12v. My '54 ate the teeth off the ring gear quick-like on 12v. :o So I swapped to the '60 model setup and no probs.
Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:
Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Another starter option is to get the 6 volt starter rewired for 12 volts. But, if you have the engine out, the flywheel swap is the better route.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
| |