The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Opelika Tom, Otto Skorzeny), 86 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#422799 06/13/2008 2:35 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 77
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 77
I have gotten alot of info from this site and have a couple of questions. I understand that my 53 5700 has a 58 235 which is longer than the original 235. Jim Carter has an adaptor plate for this swap. I don't understand the reason for the plate. Isn't the pump mounted into the blockface? I'm not at home, so can't look at the moment. Trying to decide the best, not easiest, way to proceed-- new shorter pump, or adaptor plate with original pump.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
The original style pump has to mount in a higher location on your later 235. It becomes obvious when you have the parts in hand. It is the best option in my opinion.
I just installed one on a '55 235.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
If its the same adapter I used on my 37 with a 57 235 you will have to drill two holes in the block and mounts a 54 on back water pump on the later 235,I ran a shortened pump for 7 years but could not use a stock fan so when the pump broke and went into the radiator I bought the adapter. I had to remove the grille shell to drill the holes due to space limitations but I am glad I used the adapter plate. Jeff

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 77
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 77
Jeff,
It does require drilling 2 holes in the block face. It looks like the best way to go is the adaptor plate. Doe this then use the later pump, or the 216 pump?
Thanks for the help and nice engine Ghostrider-- I saw the plate on yours.

O
OLTrucks
Unregistered
OLTrucks
Unregistered
O
I uses the 216 (or 54/551st 235) pump

#425235 06/21/2008 5:00 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
The adapter can be used with a 1941-52 216/235 pump if you want the 5/8" wide belt or the 1953-54 pump for a 3/8" belt.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0