| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,636 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 96 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 96 | Well, with my cab laying with its firewall on the floor so I can work on the bottom of the cab, I noticed that there appear to be some holes inside the cab through the lower portion of the rear of the cab for several screws? that would hold the top of the cab and the bottom of the cab together. Are there supposed to be screws in these holes ? Was there a gasket in this joint? I cannot tell. The entire joint is rusted pretty bad. I was planning on cleaning it out real good with a wire wheel, neutralize the rust, then weld the whole length of it to keep it from rusting again.
Anyone have any experience with this joint that would like to chime in ? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | There are holes to let the water out on each side near the rounded portion of the rear of the cab. Dirt getting in the pocket there caused the corners to rot out. I think originally the holes were shaped like a small louver. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | 49 chevyman, from what I can tell it appears that the upper & lower halfs were bolted togeather and then welded. I've attempted to take the bolts out to seperate but it wouldn't come apart due to the welds. As for a seam seal I think it was calked. I'd be a little hesitant about welding due to the distortion/warping. I've always cleaned the seam up and por-15 the area then primed and calked. I've just used bathroom tile calking, it says you can paint over it.
Last edited by Yakimabowtie; 06/19/2008 4:06 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 96 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 96 | Thanks Yakima,
I was not sure what was in there. I have some POR-15 to do the floor with, so I will try the method you describe. Do you just use a automotive seam sealer for the caulk ?
I was worried about warpage from such a long weld too. You would just have to do it a little bit at a time and skip around a lot. | | |
| |
| |