The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, 1 invisible), 179 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#421287 06/09/2008 12:01 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I just noticed a threaded plug on the passenger side of my 1956 235 engine. This plug is about three and a half inches in front of where the coil mounts.Is this some sort of oil port ? Keep in mind this 1956 848 head is on my 1954 261 engine.Should i be concerned about it ?

Thanks,Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Tim,

That plug is in a hole that for some reason goes into the internal oil lubrication journal that I think feeds the rocker arm assembly (oil comes up to the head from the cam lubrication journal in a small diameter tube behind the push-rod side cover.

There is no need to be concerned about that plug, unless oil is leaking around it.

I think that some people have reported interesting (odd?) oil filter plumbing in which someone ran one of the oil filter canister lines from the other side of the engine to that hole.

Tim

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Ok,Thanks Tim.
I remember seeing some inline sixes with the bee-hive oil filter on that side of the engine.
Thanks again,Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 183
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 183
Hey Tim, my PO had this installed on my 1956 235 w/848 head. Must have been an upper end oiling problem at some time. I'm just leaving it on for now. ohwell Ed


She's one 55 year old with a spare tire that looks good!
It's not rocket surgery. . . .


http://www.picturetrail.com/fredoly
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412127
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
fredoly, where does that oil line go ? I'm curious how the rockers are fed oil .

I made a new rocker oil line tube (behind push rod cover)that feeds the oil up to the rocker oiler.I bought a double flare tool and it worked out great.

My old oil line tube was full of crud.I tried blowing 160 lbs of air through it,tried running wire through it,no success,made a new one.


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 183
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 183
It runs to a "T" off the pressure side of the oil filter. You can see it here .


She's one 55 year old with a spare tire that looks good!
It's not rocket surgery. . . .


http://www.picturetrail.com/fredoly
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412127

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0